Recovery Time for a Puppy with Parvo

My puppy was vaccinated at 10 months. On Friday we took our puppy to the vet because she started with diarrhea, but no blood. When tested we found it was parvo. We decided to keep her at the vet to try to save her life. As the days have passed it seems like she is getting worse, her white blood count decreased and she started vomiting with bloody diarrhea. Should this worry me even if she has been in the hospital for a few days and they tell me it's normal for them to get worse before they get better?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Believe what they say, they have no reason to lie to you. It is a bad disease and takes a dog time to heal from this, about 6 weeks. Most dogs die from parvo in the first 72 hours. So you have given your dog the best chance because you took him to a vet and started treatment ASAP.

Some puppies don't make it, even with the best of care. I sincerely hope that is not what happens to your dog. You have made a wise decision to leave her at the vet.

First I want to say I'm sorry to hear your puppy is sick. First of all you did the best thing for your puppy by getting him vaccinated. I'm not going to tell you not to worry as their our babies and no matter how sick they are we are going to worry. Few years ago I did work in a vet office and had worked with some pretty sick dogs that had Parvo.

And with the good vet at their side and treatments they pulled through it. The best medicine for your puppy is letting him know how much you love him and lots of prayers. I will be thinking of your puppy and prayers also. Please feel free to e-mail and let me know how your little one came through. I hope I helped you.

Anonymous

Thank you for the support and wise words they make me have hope.

I feel your pain and I understand the worry you are going through right now. I have had 2 dogs that survived the Parvo virus. Each one was different. My first dog was treated at home and within 3 days he had stopped vomiting and having diarrhea.

However, my second dog had to spend 7 days at the vet's on an IV. He started to have bloody diarrhea when I arrived at the vet's. They immediately put him on an IV and gave him several shots. It took him close to 5 days before he showed any signs of improvement. On the 6th day he had stopped vomiting and having diarrhea. By the 7th day he seemed like his old self and I was able to bring him home.

The virus can get worse before it gets better. As long as he is at the vet's they monitor him and give him the necessary liquids and medicine, he'll need to get rid of the virus. One thing I found out with my second dog was when I visited him, he seemed to perk up and try and get better. I think it's a good idea if the vet allows you to see your dog this can help his recovery process.

You say your puppy was vaccinated at 10 months but not how old your puppy is now so it looks like you did not have her vaccinated before she was exposed to parvo. It sound like you may have known she was exposed to a dog with Parvo?

• It is good that you may have been concerned (about the diarrhea) and took her to the vet immediately because with parvo it seems that every hour counts.
  • The vet bill will be very high but leaving her there may be the only way to save her life.
  • Dehydration is what causes so many problems so being on an IV will eliminate that problem (at home you would have to try and get her to take even a teaspoon of water (with an eyedropper) about every 15 to 20 minutes and that is a very hard job because they will not drink on their own.
  • I believe you rescued her in time so whatever made you concerned about the diarrhea probably saved her life.

Most ThriftyFun members sincerely care about pets so you can be sure that we are hoping you will have a healthy puppy back home soon.

Be sure to follow all of the vet's home care instructions.

Hello, I just wanted to let everyone know I am very thankful for your responses and great vibes. These have been two of the most difficult weeks of our lives, we not only had one of our dogs get sick but both of them, but after a hard couple of days and the vet treatments I am happy to say both my dogs are recovering well. The vet told us that because we vaccinated them once it was enough to safe their lives. So for those people out there parvo is a very serious condition so please get your dogs vaccinated, vet treatment is expensive, but it does give dogs a fighting chance.