Removing Dry Erase Marker on Wood

It is easy to accidentally get dry erase marker on a wood surface such as a table. Try one of the solutions found on this page about removing dry erase marker on wood.

What can I use to remove dry erase marker stains from wood?

Kira from Milwaukee, WI

Answers

Best Answer

Try the Mr Clean Magic Eraser. That sponge works great. Haven't found anything it won't remove yet.

By tami (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Wow. I'm glad I found this thread. I just used a magic eraser to get marker off my dining room tabletop after trying vinegar, ammonia cleaner, water, dry erase board cleaner and anything else I could lay my hands on.

The magic eraser took some scrubbing but it's gone.

Lucky baby.

Anonymous
Best Answer

All you guys are missing it. What you do is this:
1. buy an erasable white board marker that is throw-away, as you'll ruin it here. Buy two to be safe and make sure you have enough to do the job.

2. Write over a small part of the dried markings with the new marker. The new marker 'ink' will dissolve the old.
3. Immediately wipe off the ink with a damp sponge.
4. Wait for the wood to dry.
5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 until it's all gone. If the marker becomes saturated with the old 'ink', use the second one.

Best Answer

Nail polish remover works on my white board wood.

Best Answer

I'm only a teen myself and annoying little brothers drew on my wooden do not disturb sign and after screaming and scrubbing with water and soap I don't know how but after I covered the stain with Vaseline ( I used lip Vaseline but that doesn't matter ) left it for a minute then used a pencil eraser to rub it off, I rubbed for five minutes and the stain is completly gone! I Hope This helps

Louise X

Best Answer

I had accidentally wrote on my wooden dresser with a dry erase marker when I was writing on my board and I tried all kinds of things then I just decided to put hand sanitizer on it and let it sit for a minute then I rubbed it with a pencil eraser and it came right off !.

My son wrote all over the train track on our Thomas the train table with a dry erase marker. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove it? The wood is unfinished.

Thank you!
Christine from Menomonie, WI

Answers:

Dry Erase Marker on Unfinished Wood

Try rubbing alcohol or an astringent. HTH Happy Holidays Julie (12/12/2005)

By Julie

Dry Erase Marker on Unfinished Wood

Christine my 3 year old did the same thing. So far everything I have tried has not worked. The list includes: alcohol, goo gone, goof off, greased lighting, Mr Clean magic eraser, hairspray, antibacterial hand gel, clorox bleach pen. I even tried using just a plain eraser. Nothing worked to remove it but in some areas it did get lighter. If you find out what works please post it & let me know. (02/06/2006)

By Lisa from Houston, TX

Dry Erase Marker on Unfinished Wood

Hi Lisa,

The problem with unfinished wood is that it will absorb the color. Your best bet is sanding the area until you can no longer see the color. (02/06/2006)

By Susan