Roles for Children in Weddings

Category Planning
Children in a Wedding
It is important to include children in many wedding ceremonies beyond just a flower girl and ring bearer. This is a guide about roles for children in weddings.

We have something of a dilemma. My daughter is getting married soon, and there are 2 four year old girls and 3 young boys (2 four year olds and a six year old) that will be in the wedding. The girls will both be flower girls, and one of the 4 year old boys will be the ring bearer. We need jobs for each of the other boys to do. It's a Baptist wedding, and we are thinking of having one of them carry a Bible, but we need something for the other boy to do. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

By Jacquelyn

I would have the six year old be the ring bearer because he would be more responsible, the two four year olds could kind of be escorts for the flower girls. When we had my parents funerals, my son in law was a pall bearer at each of them, and that meant that my daughter would be caring for three small kids, one of which was a new born.

Her oldest son was a small child himself at the time and also autistic and ADHD, so in order to help her out, I told him that being I didn't have a guy to walk with me, he could be my escort, and he took the responsibility really seriously. Another thing the two younger boys could do would be to walk in back of the bride, making sure her train is straight all the time. I have heard them referred to as pages in some places and in others as train bearers. Pictures that I have seen they are usually quite small boys. Hope these ideas help.

redhatterb had some good ideas but also you might consider enlisting a few teens help and have the children escorted out when the wedding ceremony starts otherwise no one will get to watch the wedding because the children will be bored by that time. There is nothing more annoying (although they are cute) than to have children doing the child thing during a wedding (I hope this does not make me sound like I'm against children- because I'm not - I just have been to weddings where it was very annoying that the little darlings took over and the bride and groom's wedding became a play land). With this many children it is very apt to happen.

I have seen where they have a ring bearer for the bride & one for the groom.You could use the 4 year olds for that & the 6 year old could help with the dress train if she has one.

You could use the extra child as a page. He could come in behind or in front of the flower girls, with a bell announcing that the bride is coming. Saying something as: "The bride is coming, the bride is coming, all stand up, the bride is coming!" It will make them feel they have an important part, and they do. It's just such an added touch to a wedding! Goodluck, and let us know how it goes. I'm a wedding planner and decorator, so I've seen a lot of different things. Email me if you have any more questions.