Save Eggshells for Planting Tomatoes

Category Fertilizer
Adding eggshells to your garden and compost is a common all natural way to add key nutrients to the soil. This is a guide about save egg shells for planting tomatoes.

To prevent blossom rot, I put a handful of egg shells in the hole with the tomato plant when setting them. This gives the tomatoes calcium and it works.

For 2 dozen tomato plants, I use 2 gallons of crushed egg shells. It takes me a year to save up that many.

Whenever I use eggs, I rinse the sticky stuff out of the shells and set them on a paper towel to drain. After they dry, they are ready to crush and add to the bag. I usually let them build up in the bag and then put them in a bowl and crush with my hands and fingers. (This also buffs my rough skin and makes it smooth.) I store the bag in the pantry until spring planting time.

If you want to try this, you need to start saving your egg shells.

Top Comment

Smart! The spray calcium you buy to prevent blossom end rot is expensive. Egg shells are free. They release the calcium over a long period of time. Since the plants receive the calcium systemically rather than locally, the egg shells are probably more effective.

Top Comment

Egg shells also prevent blossom rot in green peppers. I didn't plant peppers this year and I just remembered that I have used them for peppers.

Especially when planting tomatoes, eggshells can really help your plants, to provide nutrients. There is in fact a specific tomato ailment (blossom end rot) that can be cured by supplementing the soil with calcium AKA eggshells.

What I do is collect a bunch of eggshells, boil them or nuke them to eliminate bacteria for storage, then put them in the oven for 20 minutes, then grind them in a special coffee grinder to get the pieces small. Then store them, and dispense onto the plant as needed.

If you don't have a coffee grinder, you can just put the shells in a bag and bang it about a lot, just get it as small as you can.

Some folks say that you can use calcium and eggshells to supplement your own diet, but I would not necesarily recommend it because it is, believe it or not, easy to overdose on calcium. But if you are interested because you are dairy free and known to be deficient, you basically do the above.

Source: https://www.mamanatural.com/how-to-make-eggshell-calcium/

I lost the information on saving egg shells and planting them with tomato plants. How do I do it, etc.?

By Allene

Answers

Best Answer

Putting a handful of egg shells in the hole with a tomato plant really does help with blossom rot. I save all of my egg shells.

After cracking the eggs, I put the shells in a bowl of water and use my finger to gently wash the membrane out. Then I drain them and place them on something to dry. It takes a day or so unless I place them near heat.

When they are dry, I crush them with my hands and store in a gallon zip lock bag. When the bag gets full, I put it on the shelf in my storage closet. So far, I have saved 1 1/2 gallons of egg shells to put in the holes with tomato and pepper plants this spring. By then I should have a good amount saved up.

Egg shells give the plant calcium and it's also a great way to recycle egg shells.