Saving Money on Stocking Stuffers

Category Christmas
A classic red felt Christmas stocking, ready to be filled.
Thinking of gifts all year can save you money for the holidays. This page is about saving money on stocking stuffers.

A stocking full of little giftsWe all love stockings. Up until just a few years ago, my mom would still give me one and it had always been my favourite gift to open. Stockings don't have to cost anything and are supposed to be filled with small trinkets and goodies, not things like $50 gift cards and iPods! Remember when we used to get clementines in there? What happened with that? :)

I don't have kids so I don't have to fight with anyone regarding the contents of a stocking, but sometimes parents have to put their foot down. too many kids are spoiled rotten these days, it's awful. Here are some things you can get for free, but plan early for some of these:

Good luck and happy holidays everyone!

Source: Edited from one of my blog posts:

By Lisa from Halifax, NS

Christmas stocking stuffers can be purchased all througout the year and saved for Christmas Eve. I keep a bag under my bed of "treasures" I find throughout the year. When the Christmas season comes, I already have most of the stocking stuffers and don't need to spend money on those at a time when money is already getting tighter than usual.

Buy school supplies and give them as stocking stuffers. My kids never get tired of getting pencils, crayons, markers, and these are always on sale around back to school season.

You can find some items extra, extra cheap like spiral notebooks!

Stocking Stuffers At The Dollar Store. Having five kids, I tend to get stressed about stocking stuffers. I even had my husband do it one year and he was so frustrated because he could not find many "little" items under five dollars. And that can add up quick! So my solution was "Dollar Tree".

The day after Halloween, get as much candy you can for half price. Get only the ones that are not Halloween looking and then freeze the candy. Watch as your kids scream with delight on Christmas morning when they see their stockings!

Kelly Ann Butterbaugh

Sometimes it's the little things that cost the most; stocking stuffers fall into this category. Rather than spend a fortune on small but expensive gifts, be creative and find some great savings on tiny tidbits. It makes it more fun for everyone.

Stocking Stuffer Savings

Things get expensive during the holiday season, and the kids get over run with toys and candy. Instead of stuffing our stockings with traditional toys and candy, Santa Clause stocks up on the essentials...

I wanted to purchase my husband some smaller gifts for his stocking on our first Christmas together, but quickly didn't see the point of useless little gadgets/knick knacks that would ultimately end up sitting in storage somewhere...

Sample sizes and travel sizes of shampoo, lotion and the like are good stocking stuffers for little ones. They love the little sizes! By Linda

In July and August, when school supplies are on sale for very little money, I purchase a bunch of small crayon boxes, glue sticks, pencils, sharpeners, tablets, etc. I give each grandchild a supply for starting school and keep some for stocking stuffers at Christmas. By Christmas, they have used, lost or broken most of what was given to them at the beginning of school. When they go back to school from Christmas break, they have all new supplies for the second half of the year.

By EIW from Lancaster, PA

Answers:

Back to School Sales for Stocking Stuffers

Those sales items could also be sent to needy children around the world through outreach programs like "Operation Christmas Child," administered by Evangelist Billy Graham's son, Franklin. Much as your own kids and grandkids appreciate them, needier children appreciate them even more. And, these items may be the only Christmas these children receive. I'm sure you could find plenty of info on such programs via a simple online search.

If you'd rather keep your giving local, you might ask your child's teacher or principal to whom you could give a "shoebox Christmas" type package. Keep it anonymous if you prefer. (11/02/2009)

By Lelia Jo Cordell

As everyone knows its Back to School time and stores are selling crayons, pencils etc at extremely cheap prices. Think ahead to Christmas as I saw Crayola crayons for .20 at Walmart and would be a great stocking stuffer or gift.

By Carol from Massachusetts

Answers:

GREAT idea! I will definitely be doing this. Thanks. (08/28/2007)

By Christine

This is something I do as well. I find that a box of crayons or some cute pencils are very much appreciated by grade school children. Last year my daughter gave boxes of Crayola crayons I'd gotten for .25 a box (24 count) as Christmas gifts for her classmates. School glue (RoseArt brand) is .15 at Wal-Mart now so that's good too to pick up for whenever your child needs it again or if the teacher asks if someone could send some. I believe in helping out the teachers because they buy many things for the classroom with their own money.

I have a plastic bin I keep in a hall closet with school supplies. It's very handy to just go to that box when something is needed and I always get the supplies on special.

Kids do seem to like art supplies and colored pencils, markers and such are all on sale right now and definitely make nice stocking stuffers. (08/28/2007)

By Debbie Dzurilla

what a wonderful idea. I sure wish I had thought of this when mine were little and in school but an idea to keep for the grandbabies when the time comes for them to go to school (08/28/2007)

By suzanne

Holidays and Parties Gifts ChristmasAugust 17, 2012
🌻
🎃
🎂