I can't afford Crab at today's prices, but I can buy frozen raw shrimp meat cheaply. I have used salmon instead of shrimp, and it is just as good.
- 1 lb. raw shrimp meat
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 Tbsp. fresh lemon or lime juice (I have used it out of the bottle)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (if using salad dressing omit lemon juice)
Pulse shrimp in food processor a few times to break them up (or chop them by hand, you want them finely chopped.) Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse a few more times until blended or mix by hand. Form into 6-8 paddies about an inch thick. These can be frozen now for later use or refrigerated for use the next day.
To cook, put in pan over medium heat with a little oil in the bottom. Turn after browned on one side 3-4 minutes and finish the other side. Serve on a bun or alone.
I like to serve with a flavored mayo. 1 cup of mayo with some finely chopped sun dried tomatoes or some mustard or dill. Let your imagination go wild, use whatever herb or flavoring would go well with what you are serving.
- Up to 2 Tbsp. of finely chopped onion or shallot.
- A few shots of hot sauce to your taste.
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley.
- 1 Tbsp. chopped onion or shallot.
- Exchange bread crumbs for 1 1/4 cups mashed potatoes.
- For a crisper outside, dip in to bread crumbs be for frying.
- For extra crispy, dip in to egg wash then into bread crumbs.
- Make small ones, about the size of a 50 cent piece and about 1/2 inch thick, for finger food. Keep them warm with a pile of small buns and a few different mayos. Let your guest make their own.
CommentsRead More Comments
Shredded sweet potatoes, fried shrimp cake flour, fish sauce, and a few more seasonings combine to make the base for a shrimp topped patty. Fry in a skillet for an amazing appetizer or serve with lettuce and a side of greens.