Vote for this contest contender!
This is a super cheap and fun way to make spooky looking candles for Halloween. All you need is some cardboard tubes from toilet paper, hot glue, paint, and battery operated votives. You can paint them any colour you'd like. I went with black for a Black and White ball I am hosting.
Total Time: 1 hour plus dry time
- toilet paper tubes
- hot glue gun with glue
- spray paint or acrylic paint
- battery operated votives
- stones (optional)
- masking tape
- Rip a bit off one end from the cardboard tubes. This will create a jagged top where the "wax" will run down from.
- Add blobs of hot glue to the the jagged tops so it looks like wax is pooling at the top of the candles.
- Add hot glue going down, pooling a bit at the bottom of each stream.
- Paint the waxy tubes so they're totally covered. Make sure to get the insides of the top portions. Stand them up and allow to dry completely. You can paint the votives to blend in with the candle, but I left mine white.
- Turn the votives on and push them up the tube from the bottom if you don't have space from the "pooling wax" to do some from the top. You can tape them in from the inside, but mine just locked into place nicely.
- If they're going to be outside and need some stability, fill with stones.
- Tape the bottoms shut if you're going to move them around at all.
- Enjoy your melty spooky candles!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!