Starry Night Themed Wedding Ideas

Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh
Choosing a theme for your wedding is a great way to express your interests and pull the separate parts of the ceremony and reception together. This is a guide about Starry Night themed wedding ideas.

I am getting married July 11, 2009. I'm not sure what colors I should use. My favorite colors are purple and pink, his is blue. We are having an evening/night time wedding so I'm not sure if those colors would be good.

Our theme is a starry, starry night wedding and I was told the colors that should be used for that is navy blue, creamy white and gold or silver. I like all those colors but not sure if those would look good. Please let me know what you think or give me some ideas. Thank you so much.

Ashley from Xenia, Ohio

Best Answer

Think about a few things before deciding on a color scheme. First, look at your venue at the time of day in which you intend to get married. That is, look at the time in relation to sunset, not just the clock time. If you're going to have a sunset wedding at 9pm in the summertime, the light will be about the same as sunset at 3:30pm in January. Look at how light or dark it is, and how the light changes as the sun sets, what colors the sky turns, where the shadows grow first in the room or area. Bring some fabric swatches if you can, showing how the colors will look as the sky turns from blue to black around you. Bring whatever lighting you're going to be using, too, whether it's electric torches or flickering candles, so that you get a real idea of what your colors will look like. What looks like hot pink in the glare of day may look like a muted rose as the light fades.

Next, think about the colors that look great on both of you. If you look good in orange, pink surroundings may make you look overheated and flushed. If you look good in silver and white, gold or yellow may make you look sallow and sickly. Choose colors to wear AND colors that will surround you, that will look good against your skin and against each other (that is, a pink backdrop and an orange dress or flower arrangement may not work well together).

Finally think about whether you want the backdrop and other decorations to be the same as your attire, or a contrast. If everything is white, nothing and no one wearing white will stand out and look special. If everything's light to medium blue, on the other hand, people wearing white or black will stand out against it and look very important.

Short version of the above:

1. Check the color(s) against the setting.

2. Check the color(s) against yourselves.

3. Check the colors against each other.

Have you seen the painting by Van Gogh that is Starry, Starry Night? It may help you in deciding which colors and styles to use if you see it.

I had a night wedding and we used navy blue and ivory colors. We also floated star shaped candles in the basin where they have the holy water at our church. It was beautiful! It makes for a great theme to scrapbook your photos into an album later on...hopefully sooner than later, unlike me!

Congratulations!!

Our wedding was an evening wedding. We got married at 6:30 on New Year's Eve (over 13 years ago!).

My gown was white, and my attendants wore midnight blue. The flowers were mostly white with silver and blue accents. I had star confetti sprinkled lightly on the tables so it sparkled in the candle light. I just had clusters of white votives around the centerpieces, which were balloon clusters coming out of top hats.

Hope that helps!

Have fun!