Storing Cucumbers

Category Storage
Cooks and home gardeners have a number of useful suggestions for storing fresh cucumbers. Read on to find a way that works best for you. This is a guide about storing cucumbers.

Persian and English cucumbers are my absolute favourite from the entire cuke line, but they aren't the cheapest. In order to keep them from going mushy, it's best to keep them as dry as possible. I find they are very happy in paper bags.

I like using my French bread bags that have windows so I can see them. I keep them far away from items like onions, melons and apples because they contain a gas that speeds up their aging process when in contact. In cooler climates, it's best to keep cucumbers out of the fridge, perhaps right on the counter.

If you live in warmer areas, keep them in the fridge but not in the back or on the bottom as these are the coolest areas. You really don't want your cucumbers to be in places under 50 F.

Does anyone know how to keep cucumber slices really crisp like Sub-Way?

Wanda from IL

Answers

Best Answer

I use to work at Subway. Vegetables were kept in a walk-in cooler. Each morning before shift, we would use the slicer to prepare the fresh veggies, like cucumber slices.

Slices were kept in a stainless steel container covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator until time for shift to begin. Also, the food bar portion of Subway is temperature controlled with vegs and meats cold and meatballs, etc. kept hot. They were very careful about this in light of keeping the food safe to consume.

Best Answer

Place sliced cukes in a bowl of very cold water and place them in the coldest part of the fridge. I do this all the time and they should last more than a week

By Lynda (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I'd ziplock bag the whole cuke and keep in ice water until ready to slice off what you need, then return to ziplock bag, not place into water. Remember how limp they can become in pickling water? Good luck, and God bless. : )

What is the best way to refrigerate sliced cucumbers, in water or dry?

By Roger Quilty from Springfield, TN

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

I store my sliced cukes in heavy duty platic bag removing as much air as possible. They will stay fresh with fairly firm centers for about a week in the fridge this way.

If you place them in water they will have mushy centers in just a day or two and if placed in vinegar they will taste like vinegar and basically will be pickled with a mushy center. Okay for cooking in stews or baked meals but not for fresh, crunchy salads ;-)

How should I store cucumbers while waiting to get enough out of my garden to make pickles?

By JK

Answers

Best Answer

My husband stores them in brown paper bags in the crisper tray of the fridge. They last a good while like this. The same goes for Okra.