Thanksgiving Wedding Ideas

Category Planning
fall wedding cake
Having your wedding around a popular holiday may make it a challenge for your guests to attend. This guide is about Thanksgiving wedding ideas.

Would any of you experienced wedding planners please share the pros and cons of getting married the Saturday before Thanksgiving or the Saturday after Thanksgiving? Thanks to all!

By Carla from Greensboro, NC

This won't help you plan anything but may give you something to think about. I got married on the day before Thanksgiving. We never have a real anniversary celebration because I'm too busy doing the turkey day stuff. I'd like a day just for us when I'm not too tired. Just something you might want to think about.

I'm not an experienced wedding planner. But I do have my $.02 to offer.

Holding your wedding around a holiday like Thanksgiving would be a strain on most of your guests to attend. Even those in your immediate family usually have plans for that day and the day surrounding it. If they are not busy planning for guests they are busy planning a trip. If they are planning to travel for the holiday or to your wedding, it puts an extra financial strain on them. If you want people to attend, I would avoid holding your wedding around a holiday like that.

We were married the Saturday after Thanksgiving (11/28/59) and in some years the date does land on T Day, and I have cooked, but it doesn't happen, too often, and you can just include it in what you are giving thanks for.

Actually it worked out well for us, as family and local friends were able to make it, of course it was 50 years ago this coming November, and people didn't travel as freely as they do now. We understood for those who couldn't make it. Those that are important will find a way, it isn't as though they will be expected every year to make an appearance.

We are planning our Golden Anniversary celebration for that date (it lands on a Saturday this year) and those who can make it will and those that can't, that is fine, too.

We think it was a great time to get married!

I think it would get lost in all the activities with the holiday coming up. Personally I have never understood why anyone would want to get married close to a holiday.

I know a lady who got married on Valentines Day. The marriage didn't work out and I think she wishes she had not gotten married on that day because ever year on that day she remembers her wedding and she is trying to put it behind her.