social

Thread Not Catching When Sewing Lightweight Fabric?

I have a singer, not sure of model but I threaded my machine as always. I tested it on a piece of brown cotton to make sure all is well. It works perfect, So now I try to sew a dress (made of viscose, polyester, elasticine) and it's not sewing. The thread is not catching. So I re-tried it on the brown cotton. Works fine. Please explain what I am doing wrong and how can I fix it?

Advertisement

By Jinai

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

July 21, 20130 found this helpful

Try reading this:
www.threadsmagazine.com/.../all

This article seems to know what it's talking about and mentions needing to change tension for different threads and fabrics. Since your machine works fine on one sort of fabric, there's likely nothing wrong with it!

Have a great day!

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 282 Feedbacks
July 23, 20130 found this helpful

Could be your needle and threads both upper and bobbin.

You write that you are using viscose (called rayon in the US), polyester, and elasticine...these are most often a somewhat stretchy fabric, and require special needles ('ballpoint', or 'jersey' in the UK) for sewing successfully - if the needle you are using is working for the cotton but not the more stretchy fabrics, odds are very high that you are not using the correct sewing machine needle.

Advertisement

Refer to your sewing machine user guide. If you don't have one, post a picture of your machine and I can probably identify it for you and find you a link to the free download.

The Singer company website is fantastic about making user guides available for free download but you do need to know your machine model. Depending on the age of your machine, the information could be anywhere on the machine, but is usually on the machine front (for example, my Talent 3321, a modern electric, has the words 'Singer Talent' along the upper frame), or on the bottom right near the electrics connection.

If you are sewing on a truly vintage machine, the identification is usually on a small metal plate somewhere on the machine (varies with age and country of manufacture - a lot of our UK late 60s and 70s made machines were imported in from the Italian Singer factory).

Advertisement

May I make a suggestion? Singer puts out an outstanding reference book called Singer Complete Photo Guide to Sewing. Wonderful book, you can find a nice, used copy on Amazon.co.uk or buy it new for around £22 in the UK, or if in the US, for under $30USD. Good investment, I highly recommend it to the new-to-sewing students I teach up here in NE Scotland.

Good luck, please feel free to message me for more info.

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Categories
Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesJuly 20, 2013
Pages
More
🌻
Gardening
👔
Father's Day Ideas!
👒
Mother's Day Ideas!
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Instagram
Categories
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2024-04-17 14:20:59 in 4 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2024 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Thread-Not-Catching-When-Sewing-Lightweight-Fabric.html