social

Making a Thread Spool Pin Cushion

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 969 Posts
April 12, 2015

finished pin cushion with pinsMake this very cute and quick craft for the person in your family who loves to sew. And yes, that includes you!

Advertisement

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 1 per pattern

Source: I saw it on pinterest and recreated my own version using a stronger center

Supplies:

• 5 yd scrap tan and your choice of "thread" color yarn ($.50)
  • 1 piece of scrap hard paper or plastic tube, about 2" long
  • 1 size J hook
  • scissors
  • 1 cool temp hot glue gun
  • 1 darning needle

Steps:

1. With your hook, chain 2 and make a double in the last chain. Repeat this for 11 more. Join and chain 2 and make a double in that stitch and 2 in each around.
  2. Thread Spool Pin Cushion

3. Join and chain 2, decreasing one in each for 12 in each stitch around. Break off and work in the tails to the center. Stuff with batting or my preference, scraps of yarn.
  4. For the center of the spool, choose your support. I used the spacers from the white shelf units you snap together. You can also use a TP roll, but you may want to double the thickness for strength, using tape to secure them. I would stuff these too, really packing something in that will make is stronger like dry beans or barley.
  5. Thread Spool Pin Cushion

Advertisement

6. With the stuffed ends, hot glue them to the center.
  7. With your choice of "thread" color, begin wrapping it from one end to the other and when you feel it's thick enough, simply thread the end into the spool and cut. Fill with pins and needles.
Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? 7

Comments

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 293 Posts
April 15, 20150 found this helpful

This is really cute.:)

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 16, 20150 found this helpful

I think I would make instead of a pin cushion (that I will make for myself) but for a child it would make a little foot stool for a play house.

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 969 Posts
April 19, 20150 found this helpful

The footstool idea is great. You could make it also, out of a cat treat can. They are pretty tiny. Glad it inspired you!

In This Page
Categories
Crafts SewingDecember 6, 2016
Pages
More
🍀
St. Patrick's Ideas!
🐰
Easter Ideas!
🌻
Gardening
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Instagram
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Categories
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2023-02-20 11:13:38 in 3 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2023 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Thread-Spool-Pin-Cushion.html