Thrifty Halloween Ideas

Halloween costumes and decorations don't need to be expensive. This is a guide about thrifty Halloween ideas.

What are you ideas for thrifty Halloween costumes, treats, parties and decorations?

Anonymous
Top Comment

Costume: Bunch of Grapes

I saw this idea in a family magazine and thought it was so cute: blow up a lot of purple balloons and tie them together to resemble a bunch of grapes. Affix to your trick-or-treater and finish off the look with a bright green leaf made from cardboard or heavy construction paper.
- Marilyn

Anonymous
Top Comment

Get a clear lawn bag (45 gal.) or trash bag (33 gal.), cut out the appropriate holes for legs and arms. Fill with various colored balloons, (tie off at the bottom so the balloons don't fall out. Tie a scarf around your neck to simulate a fancy ribbon, and attach a sign on the bag "Jelly Beans."
- Lisa

Anonymous
Top Comment

I had a neighbor one-year build a Scarecrow outside by the steps to his house. The Scarecrow was propped up sitting up against the house for about 2 weeks before Halloween. The Scarecrow had a large straw hat pulled down over its face.

Halloween night my neighbor crawled into the Scarecrow body and came "alive" when trick or treaters" got close.
- Amy - Houston

Anonymous
Top Comment

A cardboard box can become almost anything you can imagine. Cut a hole to fit head and shoulders through, add straps to keep it up around your chest, add cardboard wheels and a steering wheel, paint with racing stripes and a number for a race car. Paint it brown and put UPS on it for a delivery truck. With slight detailing changes it can become any vehicle your child wants it to be.

Stick just your head through the bottom of the box. Glue cheap plastic place settings on as well as a paper table cloth or paint the table cloth on. Using paper plates create a platter around the head.

Be a Jack in the Box. Put the box upright, paint it white and put a door on the front. You are now inside a refrigerator. Use your imagination.
-- Peggy

Anonymous
Top Comment

The Floor of a Movie Theatre: Glue a bunch of candy wrappers, popcorn and empty cups and junk to your clothes (old ones).

A Character from The Birds (Movie): Tear up an old shirt and glue on several craft store birds (you can get packs of 10 for under $10 at some stores this time of year) and dribble fake blood over your "wounds."

A Lamp: Go to the thrift store and get an old lamp shade, cut two eye holes in it and wear it on your head.
- Holly and Jane

Anonymous
Top Comment

I made myself a spider/fly costume and it was so scary it scared the kids and I had to take it off.. I bought one of the Spider rigs they had in the store where you fill the body part with fiberfill or something very light.. The legs on them are about 4 ft long and hang down nicely. This cost me $1.00. I dressed myself in a fully black outfit of just plain slacks and shirt.. (had this in my closet).

I took some cardboard and made it into half rounds for the fly's eyes and they were painted green and placed to the sides of my head with bobby pins. I bought the webbing you use around the yard or house and covered myself all over with the web.. (fifty cents). I blackened my face with the halloween face stuff they sell for $.99 and used white around my eyes and mouth.. I had also made that little tongue that sticks out of the fly's mouth and wore that for a while, (pipe cleaners). For $2.50 I had myself a great costume and some grownups, at a party I went to, didn't even know who I was.
- Carol

Anonymous
Top Comment

1 c boiling water
1 pk (4 servings) orange-flavored gelatin
1 can (6 ounce) frozen orange juice concentrate

4 c chilled apple juice
3 c cold water
1 bottle (28 ounce) chilled lemon-lime beverage ice cubes thin orange slices
black jelly candies

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Add frozen orange juice, apple juice, cold water and stir to blend. Chill. When ready to serve, pour orange juice mixture into a large punch bowl; add lemon-lime beverage and pour over ice cubes. Garnish with thin slices of orange on which you have made faces with thin slices of black jelly candies. Makes about 25 servings ( 4 ounces each).

Tip: Moisten knife with water when cutting black jelly candies so they won't stick to the blade.

- Sharon

Anonymous
Top Comment

Years ago I made a fairly easy and relatively cheap costume that won a prize (gift certificate) in a local Mall costume contest. I designed a world globe out of blue material, a little elastic, and felt pieces. Basically, you stitch a straight line one inch wide on the top and bottom of the material (36" wide) and run the elastic through it. Cut out the shape of countries from the felt and either stitch or glue them on the material in the general position they appear on the globe. Then, stitch the ends of the blue material together to create the large circle. The costume fits under the arms and above the knees for easy walking. Stuff the entire globe with wadded up newspapers to make it puffy and round.