KidsCostumes

Toddler Girl's Dragon Halloween Costume

Inspired by my kids' favorite book, they both decided they wanted to be dragons for Halloween. Here is my take and twist on a toddler girl version of a dragon.

Note: The amount of felt needed may vary depending on your child. As reference, my daughter is 3 and I used 18" by 72" for red felt.

Total Time: Varies on how much time you have, but this took me a couple of days to complete.

Yield: 1 costume

1. Figure out how large you would like your dragon wings to be. Then, fold felt in half, freehand draw wings on the fold and cut out. Repeat this step again, so in the end you will have 2 wings.
  2. Trace wings on HeatnBond, cut out and set aside.
  3. Using twine floral wire and pliers - bend wire into shape to allow wings to be sturdy and stand on their own. Use binder clips to help figure out how you want to design the wing structure.
  4. Once you have the wing structure outline created, hot glue into place.
  5. Follow instructions of the HeatnBond you use. Iron HeatnBond onto the blank red felt wing.
  6. Allow to cool a little then peel off paper layer.
  7. Advertisement

8. Now place the structured wings on top (wire side down to the bond) and iron together.
  9. Cut out scales to fit the back of the wings and glue down (I found this really cool fabric, or you can use yellow or green felt instead).
  10. You will need to create elastic straps and secure with safety pins so you child can wear the wings as pictured:
  11. Time for the bonnet, trace hoody onto felt. Sew together and turn. Smooth out the seam.
  12. Cut two long strips (to use as hoody straps) and sew in place.
  13. Cut out an even amount of triangles (scales) and hot glue together then glue to bonnet. Originally I should have sewn these into the seam at the same time when I was sewing the bonnet.
  14. Time for the dragon tail, cut a triangular piece of the red felt.
  15. Wrap to make a funnel and glue the sides.
  16. Fill the tail with polyester filling and sew closed.
  17. Cut even amount of triangles and glue them together.
  18. Now hot glue the triangles onto the tail.
  19. This is how the bonnet and tail look.
  20. When your child is ready to wear their outfit. Attach the dragon tail to the back of the red dress and secure tail with a safety pin, or if you want the costume to not be detachable you can sew it on. Put on wings and bonnet and you're ready!
  21. Advertisement

Lovely job, Michelle!

Thanks!!!

Amazing, as is the version you made for you son!

Thank you!! :)

Crafts Halloween Costumes KidsOctober 21, 2019
🎃
🍂