Using Costume Jewelry as Christmas Ornaments

Category Tree
If you find you don't wear your costume jewelry, you can use it as ornaments on a mini Christmas tree. This is a guide about using costume jewelry as Christmas ornaments.

The other day, I was going through a box of small keepsakes when I realized I've never worn a single pin I've ever been given. (Oops.) My favorite one is my grandmother's old butterfly pin that's too fragile to wear. Then I had a duh moment when I remembered I had no ornaments for my mini tree. :) You can finds all sorts of ways to re-purpose costume jewelry. Pins are very easy to tweak. You only need a bit of ribbon and some fabric glue.

• ribbon
  • assorted pins
  • fabric glue (to make the bows last)

1. There are different ways to fix the ribbon to get pins to hang nicely on the tree, depending on the type of pin you have. I've outlined some ways you can correctly affix ribbon to different shaped and sized pins
  2. Ad

3. Small pins with needle-clip backings are the easiest to start with. Double knot the ribbon through the gap where the back clip of the pin meets the needle.
  4. Next, make a fairly large loop, in proportion to the size of the pin, and knot the other end, leaving enough ribbon to make a bow.
  5. Double knot it to secure the hold. Make a mini bow, if desired, and dab a dot of fabric glue where the bow knots to prevent it from unraveling.
  6. For the hook and needle pin, I folded a good length of ribbon in half and knotted the center fold to one end of the needle. Then, I twisted the ribbon and made a second knot at the opposite end.
  7. The butterfly pin had a different weight and shape, so I ended up wrapping it around the body instead of the pin closure. I gently knotted the ribbon at the base of the head.
  8. Enjoy your new set of mini ornaments! They also make a cute gift.

Top Comment

I have a mini-tree, and I've used old Christmas earrings to decorate it. I use pearl lights on my kitchen tree, and when they burn out (they're white) I paint them with red nail polish and hang them on the mini-tree.

Somewhere, I acquired a bunch of tiny teddy bears, about 1/2 inch tall, so I added hangers to them and use them, too.

Cool, Jodi! Thank you so much for sharing those creative tips. The teddy bears sound super cute. :)

You're welcome! Sorry I'm just now seeing this. My family jokes that if I like something, I either frame it or hang it on the Christmas tree.

Lol!