Using Hairspray to Kill Insects

Category Insects
Hairspray will immobilize the insect by coating its wings, so you can safely kill it. This is a guide about using hairspray to kill insects.

We had a wasp flying around our house last night, it scared me, and no matter what we couldn't get close enough to swat it with the fly swatter to kill it. This morning, it got close enough to us that my husband asked for my hairspray. My hair spray? Yes!

He sprayed it a few times, it acted real sluggish and tried to fly around more. He must have sprayed it 5 or 6 times, and then it fell, yes fell, down on the chair and he hit it. It was not able to move much at all, thus making it easy to kill it. Hair spray will slow it down, somehow, and then you can wallop the bugger. Kill the thing. Just thought i would share this. If you hate wasps and bees as much as i do, this might help you also.

By Pati Mishler from Tribune, KS

Top Comment

Louel was right ~ it coats their wings/body & stiffens them so they can't fly. When they're "frozen", you can kill the little suckers and rest easy. I've been using inexpensive strong-old aerosol hairspray (from the dollar store) to immobilize all flying insects (flies, bees, moths, mosquitoes, etc.) for years.

It's much cheaper & I fell a lot safer using that than those nasty (toxic?) bug sprays.

The cheapest hair spray you can find will freeze a wasp in place, and drop it like a cannon ball. Just keep a can handy. It works for other flying insects too. Just spray on the wasp, and in seconds it will dry and the wasp will drop out of the air.

Source: Can't remember where I got it, but know it works!

By Jacketbacker from Greer, SC

When you have bees, houseflies, or anything that flies, spray them with strong hold hairspray. They can't fly because their wings freeze and get stiff. Then, just kill them.

By Joyce from Decaturville, TN