Using Petroleum Jelly as a Moisturizer

Category Moisturizer
Petroleum jelly, whether Vaseline or a store brand, can be used as a moisturizer. Dermatologists recommend it for dry skin. Some consumers will not use it because it is in fact petroleum based and choose to use other oils or commercial products. The controversy continues. This is a guide about using petroleum jelly as a moisturizer.

Having wonderfully soft feet is easy. Simply coat both feet at night with a generous amount of petroleum jelly and slip on a pair of white cotton socks! In the morning, your feet will feel brand new!

I remember hearing this frugal beauty trick from both the late Eartha Kitt and Doris Day. Petroleum Jelly: use it at night as night lotion on your face. It does rub off on the pillow some. I also use it to take off makeup, too. Once a week, I use it all over my body, cover up with pajamas, socks, and cotton gloves before going to bed. It works better than the most expensive lotion. I am fifty and people think I am in my thirties because of my skin.

By Morganna from Anderson, IN

I cannot spend too much on face moisturizer, and I want to keep my face soft to put on foundation. Can you put petroleum jelly on your face to moisturize it? I do not know if I want to do this because I think it may cause clogged pores. What do you think?

Mary from Chicago

Answers

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

My mother in law does use it occasionally. She looks greasy but loves the way her skin feels after it soaks in!

Best Answer

My massage therapist says no NO NO! It's a petroleum product apparently. I'm not sure what you'd want to use instead. I really like Olay.

By carol (Guest Post)
Best Answer

My sister used to have severely dry skin on her face and was allergic to a lot of lotions. A dermatologist told her to use petroleum jelly, but put it on with wet hands as this helps it to spread thinner and not be so greasy.

By Kathleen W. (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Yes I use Vaseline every morning on my face, lot of ladies ask me, what kind of make up & etc I use on my face, I do not have any wrinkles,not bragging I look lot younger than my age, on top of the Vaseline. I apply baby powder then cover girl liquid makeup from Dollar store then a little lipstick for rouge, then put on lipstick, if they ask my age I tell them I'm 39 like Jack Benny. I'll always be 39,"Ha". Hope this helps.

Best Answer

From what I've read, don't! Try using a cold-pressed vegetable oil like olive, almond or virgin coconut oil instead.

It's lighter and won't hurt your health. As a bonus, cold-pressed oils keep their vitamin A content and don't clog your pores. And, you can use them as makeup removers, too!

By Kathy (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Mary - I am 62 years old and have been using petroleum jelly for years on my face. I put it on my face at night and as a base under my makeup. In the a.m., I wash my face, dry it, put on a light coating of "jelly", go make the coffee and come back after it's absorbed a bit and finish the makeup. I've never found it to clog.