Vintage Star-Studded Christmas Gift Box
Vote for this contest contender!
Upcycle an empty tea box into a beautiful vintage looking gift box. Decorate it with burlap, felt, and stars, and add a special touch to your gift giving. By adjusting the size of the burlap and felt, the same idea can also be used to upcycle cereal boxes.
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: one gift box
- suitable empty box, such as a tea box
- 4.4 x 3.4 in natural rustic burlap (Hessian)
- 3.4 x 2.4 in dark green felt
- white tissue paper
- eleven star shaped cork stickers
- 10 in of clear machine beaded garland
- matching green ribbon
- green acrylic paint
- Modge Podge
- Dala bronze antique rub
- Kaisercraft bronze ink glimmer mist
- quick-drying craft glue (such as Bostik Clear)
- standard scissors
- empty plastic bowl
- Cut off the top flaps of the box.
- Draw a handle on the front and back panels of the box and cut them out.
- Mix some green paint and Modge Podge in the empty plastic bowl. Cut strips from the white tissue paper. Put the first strip on the box and paint a substantial amount of Modge Podge over the top of the strip, so that it will stick to the box. Start painting from the middle of the strip towards the sides, and work in small triangles. Repeat, until the whole exterior of the box has been covered. Try and keep the inside of the box neat and clean. Dry the box with the hairdryer and cut off any pieces of tissue paper that may protrude over the edge of the box.
- Add an uneven wash of bronze antique rub to the exterior of the box. Then, mix some bronze ink glimmer mist with the green paint and Modge Podge mix, and add an uneven wash of this mix over the exterior. Allow to dry to thoroughly.
- Centre and glue the burlap to the front panel of the box.
- Centre and glue the felt on the burlap. Make a collage with the cork stars and use glue to keep them in place.
- Use glue to secure the beaded garland to the box. Push the sides of the box inwards, add white tissue paper, a small gift, and tie a ribbon through the handles to finish the box.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!