Washington Christmas Charities

Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
Every year ThriftyFun gets numerous requests from people looking for help for their families for Christmas. Since we do not have the resources to offer direct help, we have set up this guide to help people find charities in each state. This is a guide about finding Christmas charities in Washington.

Christmas House, located in Everett, has been providing holiday assistance to children in in Snohomish County since 1981. The organization has a holiday store that provides an opportunity for qualifying, low-income, Snohomish County parents to select free holiday gifts for their children.

Northwest Harvest may be able to provide assistance with holiday meals.

I am looking for agencies that help needy families for Christmas.

By Melony from Kent, WA

Editor's Note: Please DO NOT post requests for help in the feedback. ThriftyFun doesn't have resources to help the overwhelming need and the people who can help will never see the post.

Answer Was this helpful? 3

If you are low enough income to be getting help from the Department of Social Services contact them. In the town where I live all the agencies that help low income families at Christmas time have a clearing house where people can apply for that type of help. I don't know if it is the same in all states or not but in SD the clearing house is under the Help Line program. I think all states have something like that. Other wise contact the closest Salvation Army. Toys for Tots operates in most larger size towns during the holidays. If you can't access things like that, what I did when my kids were little was if they needed a new item of clothing that is what they got. New toys aren't a necessity. If your kids are teen agers they should be able to understand times are hard. Really all any kid needs is one gift and most of the time they will be satisfied. Also sometimes you can get nice toys, books, and clothes at thrift shops and they can be used as gifts. My late Mother spent several years browsing antique shops until she had a certain type cookie jar for each one of us three girls, sometimes she would just find the jar without the lid, but she scrounged until she had a complete cookie jar for each of us. They were used, but thoughtful and appreciated. My self if I still had kids I would rather give them one small gift, than go asking for help.

People have given excellent suggestions. I just thought I'd mention a food service that's available to anyone to save on groceries, it's called:

Angel Food Ministries (any income can use this service and it's very helpful to make food dollars stretch!)...here's their website to read the info, find a site near you, read their menu (they do accept food stamps among other kinds of payments). The food is very good and I love the meat packages! excellent quality!...http://www.ange  dministries.com/ truly worthwhile organization!

This link might help. Good Luck!

http://www.goog  DgAAAKoEBU_QOTbB

Salvation Army

I know the TF staff linked in a comment I made on this question last year. I'm posting again anyway!

If you or your spouse is a veteran, ask your local Veterans' Affairs office if they have a holiday program. One year when we needed help, they gave us a Kroger gift card along with the other help they provided.

Also, it's not too early to put Christmas requests on your local FreeCycle group. (I'm presuming you're a member. If not, it's free to join. Go to FreeCycle.org and click around to find your closest chapter.) I was blessed to help a FreeCycle mom with a couple of small items for the two teenage boys in her home last year. It felt great to be the giver for a change!

We have an organization called the Holiday Bureau. You can probably contact your church or job and family services and they can give you some affiliations to this.

Good luck and Happy Holidays.

http://homeless  -income-parents/

Where can I find free Christmas gifts for low income families?

By Rose from Kent, WA

Look in the phone book, there are all kinds of different places that do things like that. If you are talking about for kids, some of them have age limits. There is the Salvation Army, Toys for Tots, etc. Also call 211, it is a nationwide organization, called HELPLINE that keeps a listing of different charities. There was a time more than 20 years ago that I needed that type of help, but I found these organizations on my own. You could also call the Department of Social Services. A lot of these organizations do have income guidelines, and just because somebody thinks they are low income, doesn't mean that they are low enough income. Most families can afford to get small inexpensive gifts from dollar stores. It is supposed to be the thought that counts.

Anonymous

Redhatterb gave good advice. Also, having a low income does not necessarily equate to being entitled to 'free gifts' for Christmas. There's a difference between low income and being truly 'needy'.

Charities that offer help during the holiday season in Washington. Please post feedback about any charities you may know about.

Editor's Note: Do NOT post here if you need help. ThriftyFun does not have resources to give direct help to those in need.

Answers:

Washington Christmas Charities

• Salvation Army
  • Toys For Tots
  • Opportunity Council
  • DSHS
  • Service Clubs (Lions Rotary Womens Clubs)
  • churches

Call Social Services, the sooner the better! (11/24/2005)

By JustSusan

Washington Christmas Charities

Check with your schools, they all have lists of charities to help out families in need with toys, food, etc. Good luck and Merry Christmas. (12/04/2005)

By Barb