Why Do We Keep Our Wedding Dresses?

Category Traditions
Bride wearing her wedding dress.
Brides have traditionally kept their wedding dresses, but have you ever wondered where this practice began and why? This is a guide about "Why do we keep our wedding dresses?".

I have a question. Why do you keep your wedding dress? What is the purpose? because we are supposed to? I have mine, will never wear it again and I know no one else will. Why do I have it? Why do you still have yours? Thanks

By mindy from Terrebonne, OR

Best Answer

The hope is your daughter will wear it one day. If a daughter is not on the horizon, find someone to give or sell it to. A wedding dress should be cherished. Rather than storing it in the attic, allow someone else to cherish it and maybe their daughter will wear it.

I kept mine for many years to remind me what NOT to do again! lol

New show on TLC about reusing a wedding gown through remakes. I know many who hand down their dresses. Also, goodwill will take it and this will allow another special day for someone else.

You can also have baptismal gowns made of the dress. I know mine hangs in my closet. Why? I spent alot of time and money making it. I can't fit it in anymore but at the 25 year, our church did a bridal show, and there were those small enough to wear it, as I wore someone else's for the event.

If you had this thought of why when you were planning your wedding, you should have just gotten a rental for the day. They have those out there too.

If nothing else, sell it to a costume shop.

thanks for ideas -- I have two boys and while I love my dress, it is sitting in a box. I got it at a consignment shop and the cost was amazing so it's not an issue of that I spent a lot of money on it. Because I did not. so, still trying to think of why I have it but I can't get to the point mentally to give it away :)