Will "Magic Jack" Work for Collect Calls from Jail?

This guide contains tips for 'Magic Jack' to accept collect calls from jail. Magic Jack is a telephone serve that uses the internet without having a traditional phone service. Here are some tips so that you can receive collect calls from a jail.

Can I receive collect calls from prison inmates on my magicJack?

By alma from Pleasanton, CA

Answers

Can I accept collect calls from jail with my magicjack

You have to add your MJ number to the prison phone list of acceptable numbers s/he can call. In addition, you have to have a prepaid account on that MJ number.

So the answer is yes, but you have to find out from the individual prison how to register our MJ number and set up a prepaid account.

Can you call a magicJack phone collect from jail?

By missjo from Jacksonville, FL

Will Magic Jack work on collect calls from jail?

Zora from Macedon, NY

Answers:

This might be naive, but can you give the jailed person a phone card so they could use that to call you? (10/09/2008)

By AK Mom

No, it won't accept calls from any jail or prison. Something else you don't know is, I live about 15 miles from my stepdaughter, in 2 different states. Before she switched to magic Jack I could call her at no extra charge, anytime, now it costs me (the caller to her) 10 cents per minute. I found out the hard way. Now she calls me at no extra charge. If the area code is different, the caller gets charged. (08/08/2009)

By Pat

We have a friend in prison, and I looked at T-Netix, the company that handles their phone calls. You can open a prepaid account with them that, they say, works with cell phones and internet calls as well as landlines. Now that I know that, we'll try MagicJack out.

I also found a posting on a forum about Global Tel link, which appears to be another prison phone billing company. They apparently have a program that works with MagicJack, too. So just look at your phone bill and find out what company handles the collect calls from the prison, and look them up online. (12/01/2009)

By LeopardMoth

Will "Magic Jack" work on collect calls from someone in jail?

Bonnie from Mableton

Answers:

I don't think collect calls would work with this as it is for calls you make "from" your computer that you hook the phone into. I saw a commercial for this on TV just this past week and there is the $40 purchase and usage fee for the first year.

After that it is $20 a year. Still a whole heck of a lot cheaper than what a monthly bill is. Here is the link, check it out. http://www.magicjack.com/1/index.asp (06/14/2008)

By Linda