Yarn Santa Ornament
Create this cute inexpensive, yarn Santa ornament. You will need just a few supplies, and you can make a lasting Christmas tree decoration with young crafters.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Every few years, I teach another young crafter how to make these ornaments. My niece still has the ones we made together more than 30 years ago!
Total Time: 15 minutes to 1 hour depending on the age of the child
Yield: 1 each
- 1 white plastic drapery ring 1 1/8 in diameter
- 2 blue beads
- 1 red bead
- 3 yd white yarn cut into 16 equal pieces
- 3 yd red yarn cut into 16 equal pieces
- Thread a blue, red, and blue bead onto one piece of white yarn. Tie ends of yarn to plastic drapery ring with the 3 beads in center of the ring. This is actually the hardest part of the ornament, so you may want to do these in advance.
- Loop the remaining 15 pieces of white yarn around one side of ring and 15 pieces of the red yarn around the other side of the ring.
- Use the last piece of red yarn to tie a double knot around the red loops forming Santa's hat. Tie ends together to form the hanger loop. Trim ends of red yarn. Use a comb separate the white yarn into individual strands and then trim into a beard shape.
December 22, 20140 found this helpful
This is very cute! I bookmarked this, for another project to do for next year, as I don't have the time and material now.
It really is one of the cutest craft projects I've seen this year! Thanks for posting this!