Yo Yo Covered Papier-mâché Pumpkins

I started this project some time ago when I was completely enamored with making yo yos for all sorts of potential craft projects. I am sharing them now because the yo yos can be a bit time consuming to make, so it is best to begin this project early. These two pumpkins were fun to make and would be a nice additional to your seasonal decor. Even though the fabric is quite Halloween themed, they can be used as a fall decoration and of course, can be made with any fabric choice.

Total Time: 2+ hours not including the yo yos

1. Make your yo yos, in the size that you choose. The tutorial for making them with and without a plastic yo yo maker can be found here: Making Fabric Yo Yos
  2. Paint the bottom of the pumpkin as you will not cover it with yo yos.
  3. Wrap the stem with the jute cord. When you reach the top add some hot glue and spiral the jute to cover the top of the stem.
  4. Advertisement

5. Begin glueing the yo yos to the pumpkin until it is completely covered, except the bottom.
  6. Once the pumpkin was covered with the yo yos I added the clear buttons for a bit of sparkle. I also glued them in place with hot glue.
  7. The second pumpkin was made following the same process, but using smaller yo yos. It was a bit more of a challenge to get the coverage I wanted due to the deeply furrowed shape. Here are photos taken of assembling the second pumpkin.
  8. Advertisement

9. Some of the buttons used on the second pumpkin were plain with a narrow edge and a noticeable center depression. I had some tiny colored two hole buttons and glued them on these buttons.
  10. They are ready to display.

Crafts Halloween DecorationsJune 9, 2020
🌻
🎆
👔
😎
😷
🐛

DecorationsHalloween