Making a Dinosaur Costume
Kids love dinosaurs, there is no way around it. That is why dressing up as a dinosaur for Halloween is always a popular option. This is a guide about making a dinosaur costume.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
- long rectangular cardboard box: tall and wide enough to fit your head inside and three to four times longer than your head
- box cutter (or scissors)
- white paper and black pen or white and black craft foam (something to make a dinosaur eyes and teeth)
- masking tape
- spray paint (optional)
- glue (optional)
On all box costumes you will need to secure the box shut with tape (preferably from the inside, tape on the outside will interfere with the paint). Then cut the holes you need for your body parts to come through.
- In the bottom of the box, off to one side, cut a hole big enough to fit your head through (save the piece you cut out).
- At the end of the box on the opposite side of the hole you cut in the bottom of the box, in pencil draw a wavy gum line of the dinosaur. The gum line should wrap around and end at a point 3/4 of the way down the long sides of the box. The top and bottom gum line should be separated enough for teeth to fit in.
- With the cardboard you cut out of the bottom, cut triangles out of it to be used as head spikes. Tape the spikes to the middle of top of the box. The spikes should cover 1/3 of the top of the box parallel to the hole in the bottom and continue down towards the hole in the bottom. Secure the spike in an 90 degree upright position by tightly taping each side of the spike to the box. (If you are not painting your dinosaur move on to step 5).
- If you want your dinosaur to have color, spray paint it in the color of your choice and let dry, add details with another color.
- With white paper or craft foam cut triangular sharp teeth. Tape each tooth to the inside part of the box at the edge of the gum line. Design your dinosaurs tooth line how ever you would like.
- Cut ovals out of the white paper or foam and place the pupil in the middle with a black marker or glue a small black circle of paper or craft foam to the middle.
- With a loop of tape or glue secure the eyes in the upper corner of each side of the box.
Now slide the box over your head and give your mightiest rawwr and you will be suddenly transformed into a prehistoric beast!
October 6, 20110 found this helpful
Here is a website with a great basic design for making a Halloween costume. It can easily be adapted, using the patterns provided, for a variety of dinosaur sizes and colors. They also have a convenient no-sew pattern!