Stocking Stuffer Ideas

Finding the perfect yet inexpensive stocking stuffers can take some thought. Look here for great ideas for thrifty stocking stuffers. This guide contains stocking stuffer ideas.

Tired of the same old stocking stuffers? Here's a horse of a different color idea. Instead of using a traditional stocking why not use something entirely different.

For example:

Teens and Adults

Paperback books. (These can often be found in new condition at used book stores.), Socks, Energy Bars for school lunches, Gift Certificates, especially for chain restaurants near their schools, Small fragrant soaps, Pocket calendars, Lotions, Shaving Gels. Charities that provide gifts for children say it is especially important for the teenage children to receive gifts and they are always looking for stocking stuffer gifts for these young ones. Too often, the teens in struggling families take on adult family responsibilities way beyond their years and they need to be remembered at Christmas, too.

Lynn - West of Eugene, OR

Useful Items

Gloves, Ice Scrape, De-Icer, Hot Oil Treatment packet, Barrettes and hair ties, Pens, Pencils and Erasers, Scissors, Pencil Sharpener

Susan

For Adults

I always felt that stocking stuffers for adults and teens were easier than coming up with ideas for children. Some things that have worked really well in the past for me are: Small or sample sized colognes, Manicure sets or makeup brush sets, Slipper socks (I think everyone can use these!), Chapstick, Prepaid phone cards, Bubble bath/sponges/bath oil beads, Address books or pocket calendars, Keepsake ornament, Shaving kits (you can buy trial-sized shaving cream and after-shave at discount stores), Pen or pencil sets, Bean-bag babies, Gift certificates to music stores, movie theaters, or a video store. Happy Holidays!

Brandi

Tools

Everyone, even teenagers, can use pliers or screwdrivers. For little ones: colors and coloring books.

Nell

Here's what I would like to receive...

These are some of the things I would like to receive as stocking stuffers! A package of safety pins in assorted sizes, scotch tape, Band-Aids, paperclips, Kleenex, a small calculator, a small mirror, felt tip permanent ink pen, wash rags, dish rags, small trash bag liners (they have pretty, scented ones now), a list of current addresses, phone numbers, and E-mail addresses, a new coffee mug, anything small to add to a collection I might have, envelopes, stamps, fabric glue, black and/or white thread and/or coasters. Some of these are very common but very necessary when you need them.

Jela

Science Items

My Dad is a semi-retired mad scientist, that explains my bend towards this sort of stuff. I've been doing some business with Edmunds Scientifics forever - never a problem. It's fun for adults and kids. Our daughter once stated that she noticed that she only got gifts that encouraged her curiosity. They had a special (on their catalog order form) for a bag of various sized prisms. This is only poured glass - nothing spookier than the glass in your window panes. If placed in a sunny window pane/clear glued, it is fun to watch for a rainbow in different places during the day as the sun changes. The childrens' ward at the hospital love theirs as they anticipate the next rainbow. Each tiny prism is individually wrapped in a small cardboard box. I don't have much money, but was able to give a rainbow to people who have had recent troubles, and a surprise gift for my family and friends. Be good, and have some fun.

By Susan

A Few Ideas

Another few stocking stuffer ideas would be life savers, nail files, small pack of tissues.

Pat Shook.

My Idea

Disposable camera, scratch off lottery tickets, local fast food $5 certificates, crosswords or riddle books, car fresheners, key chains, ornaments, ice scraper, address book, quality pen or mechanical pencil, hot chocolate. These work for both sexes.

Essa

Scratch Tickets and More

Chapstick, Toothbrush, Chocolate Books and/or magazines, Holiday Scratch Tickets, Trial size shave gel or hand cream, razors. For kids: Toothbrush, chocolate, bracelets, ornaments, pencils/crayons, books, craft kits.

Shawna

Happy Meal Toys

If you can manage it without the kids knowing, kids meal toys make great stocking stuffers.

Calnorth

Clearance Items

Use coupons for buy 1, get free gum, candy, etc. Check throughout the year for small clearance items.

Michelle

For Hubby

I had a few ideas that I am planning on putting in my hubby's stocking. Starbucks gift card, Desktop(one-a-day) calendar, Personal Certificates for Favors, Hugs, Etc. Russel Stovers Candy, Lottery Scratch Tickets, Alcohol Samples (little bottles that you can buy at the liquor store to try new kinds of alcohol), A Car Compass (the sticky kind).

Jennifer

Crafty Ideas

A few great ideas for stuffers are: a christmas ornament that you buy at a craft store that you can paint and put a picture of yourself in, a bar of handmade soap, a can of their favorite fruit/vegetable (ie. olives, fruit cocktail etc.), make a CD of their favorite songs, one of those tiny sewing kits for repairs on the go.

Tina.

More Ideas

Lottery scratchoffs, gum, makeup for the ladies, skin care items, boxers for the gentleman, small and inexpensive jewelry

Ideas for men: chapstick, shaving cream, favorite snack, gum/mints, boxers/jogging pants, personal grooming kit (Wal-Mart had some with razors, tweezers, shoe horn, comb, finger and toe nail clippers), lottery tickets, desktop calendar. My husband needed a cell phone charger for his truck. - By Brooke

Trivia Card Games, Popcorn & popcorn seasonings, Work gloves (for men), Garden gloves (for women), Eye makeup remover & cotton remover pads, Their favorite styling products, face and/or body cream, antibacterial hand soap for kitchen, small frames with special picture in it, a scarf you knit yourself.

Nicole

Gift Cards

Gift cards are great. LIke Jamba Juice, Starbucks, Albertson's, etc.

My List of Ideas

Here are some ideas: Lotion, Candles, Ornaments, Card Games (UNO, Phase 10, Etc.), Mini Tool Kit, Bath Stuff (bubbles, beads, fizzy things), Magic Towels, Nail Files, Nail Polish, Make-up, Yo-Yo, Candy, Lottery Tickets (Christmas Type), Gloves, Flavored Tea, Hot Chocolate, or Coffee, Gift Certificates, Matchbox Cars, Crayons, Pens, Pencils (school stuff), Mini Shaving Creams, Razors, Jewelry, Chapstick.

Amanda

Clearance Aisle at Walmart

For several weeks and months I watch the clearance aisle at our Wal-Mart store. Mostly I am only able to find things suitable for stocking stuffers, but I am almost always able to find several. This year I found scarves for .40 cents a piece and socks for .75 cents a pair! It pays to look!

Robin

Goodies and a Letter From Santa

Toothbrushes, eye-shadow, matchbox cars, underwear, orange, pack of gum, scratch off tickets, sample size deodorant (they love it since they are 6 and 8, they feel grown up), perfume samplers, deck of cards, $10 gift certificate to a local gas station, bag of fruit snacks, granola bars. They all get a personal letter handwritten by Santa telling them what wonderful things they did over the year.

Cher

One Dollar Bills

I put 5 crisp one dollar bills in my 5 year old's stocking. I also bought a gift certificate book to McDonald's for him. He thinks he is so grown up paying for items himself. I don't do gift cards, he loves to get the change back and purchase other items. I also get tickets to the zoo, aquarium, movies, etc and put one in each one of our stockings.

ANGEL

Batteries and More

Batteries, photo film, shoe laces, breath mints, flavored tooth picks, disposable bibs for baby, hand sanitizer for purse and hand cream, crayons, paints, Legos, magic tricks.

Jcerar

Halloween Clearance Candy

Right after halloween I went to Target and found my sister's favorite candies for only 50 cents for a big bag! I have enough to put a few in everyone's stocking.

Melody

Shake Up Flashlights

Shake up flashlights for the kids, no batteries needed, ever!

Harlean from Arkansas

Emergency Items for the Car

For women and driving teens: a good dependable flashlight and emergency flares for their car, in case of roadside emergency. For men: knives. For Preteens: an accessory to go along with their personal interests. For children: flavored chap-stick, sing-a-long CD's. I think the rest has been covered. There are some really good ideas listed.

Tina, TX

In the excitement of keeping up with early risers on Christmas morning, and getting ready for other company, breakfast might be neglected or delayed. How about stuffing some quick breakfast items in the stockings just before you go to bed Christmas Eve night?

Bath and Body Works (hand sanitizer, bath salts, shower gel, soap, candles), warm and cozy socks, jewelry, a movie or fave TV series, a CD or iTunes card

I do one of two things each year for my family for Christmas (especially my grandchildren). I make a homemade ornament of some sort and send them early so they can enjoy them on their tree during the holiday season.

I stuffed my wife's stocking with a lot of cool things like: a wallet, her favorite type of candy, body wash, hand made romantic certificates, a bath sponge, a bag of rose petals, candy canes, Christmas card, little wrapped boxes, and a ring.

I used to feel a real anti-climax when at the end of Christmas my children would be gloating over their presents and little treats in their stockings and I end up feeling feeling left out, even though I had presents from my hubby or children.

Post your favorite stocking stuffer ideas.

Answers

Batteries make great stocking stuffers!

By this time of year September's school supplies are running down. Fill stockings with supplies like pens, pencils and glue sticks.

By Linda

Here is my favorite ideas for stocking stuffers I always put in a orange. This keeps my young grandsons happy until I can make breakfast. For my girls I always try to find nice fuzzy slipper socks so they can put something warm on their feet first thing. My guys I usually fill their stockings with small items such as a little travel bottle of cologne and other men's travel items. Every one gets a new toothbrush and I also give my daughter's new journals every year. My oldest Daughter loves to read so I try to stick a small book in her stocking with a new bookmark. There are so many ways to make bookmarks that I can give her a new one each year with out having to make the same thing twice. If I send a stocking to a grownup far away I always put some cards and envelopes with personalized address labels made on my compuiter. Hope this gives you some ideas

well, I am a 27 yr old married woman and these are some things that are usually in my stocking that I always appreciate;
nail polish
nail files
bath stuff (new loofah and pouf, bath gel, bubble bath etc.)
candles
ditto on the fuzzy socks!
little box of chocolate
different vareities of tea or hot chocolate
paperback novel

hope that gets ya going!

panties are great
candy
candles
picture frames
socks
movies
phone cover
pens
journal
make up
jewlery

Things I love to get in my stockings:
more fuzzy sox
lip gloss
perfume
bath salts
scented bath beads
body lotion
certificate for a massage or facial
dvd's

i could do with a new pair of Black Tights..!!! ok mum..?

I like to go to the dollar stores to find stocking stuffers. It's amazing what you can find for just $1.00

Well every year since I was about 13 I would get:
-Orange Chocolate
-Dvd
-gift certificate for a manicure
-journal with a pen
-disposable camera
-a rain check book
the rain check book was probably my favourite because my mum would make then herself and give them to my brother and sister and myself and they would say like "15 minute massage" or "free bedroom cleaning" or as we got older "borrow the car for a night" just fun things like that I really enjoyed so maybe your kids will too and here's another idea, when I was pregnant my mum and my aunts would make little booties and knit up little jackets or face cloths for my daughter I loved them!

Here is a great idea. It really wouldnt fit well in a stocking, as it is very long in height, but I paint stars on ceilings for folks that live close by (I also can paint them on poster board). Just look outside and lok up at the sky, thats what the ceiling will lok like, even on a poster board when I get through. It will be the size of a skylight you would purchase, shipped in a cyclinder, but not "mega costly, for the person who has everything already, and the frugal shopper.

When I was a child (eons ago!) my dad would bring home a box of oranges and we'd get a few in our stocking. For a kid born in the "prosperous 50's" this seemed downright stupid! Then my mother explained that when my dad was a child in the depression he would get a single orange for his entire Christmas,,,on a GOOD year. Sort of puts it all into perspevtive, doesn't it? My children ALWAYS get an orange in their stocking and as I put it in I say, "This is for you, Daddy."

i go to the dollar store heres the stuff my daughter gets
lip gloss
bath stuff\body spray
those washcloths that are balls you put into water they open up
christmas pen\
journal books
stickers
some of their jewelry is actually nice(beaded) bracelet /necklace
that flarp gooey stuff kids like
hair stuff(this is great there)
mini brush mini mirror
those bath tub tabs that color water
bath foam
i always have luck there
i usually take 2o bucks and go to town
boys are a lil harder to do there
the different color teddy bears are great as a gift just dress them up and for someone ya need to get a lil extra it is cute and thrifty

I need help getting my dad's stocking stuffed I have 3 sisters and a mom and we all have a hard time buying for him what should I do?

I always do a toothbrush, too (didn't see that noted yet). Merry Christmas!

I'm one of THOSE "coupon clippers".... My family and extended family never get tired of shampoo, toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc. Last year I was able to assemble a basket of gourmet items (valued from $4 - $10 dollars originally) for my future sister-in-law with spices, seasonings and sauces that were being discontinued at my local grocery store. Note: NOT expired, just making rrom on their shelves for new lines of products. The store had them reduced to 4/$1.00. Some of the items were originally over $6.00 each. The basket was 25 cents at a tag sale and I was able to fill it for $3.00, not the nearly $60.00 it would have cost me had I paid full price!

Well these are some ideas I have gathered for men/my husbad:
cd/dvd repair kit
gum/mints
shaving kit
grooming supplies(deodorant, cologne, bodywash)
cellphone accessories
Ipod, MP3 or MP4
car fresheners
keychains
wallet
lottery scratch tickets
tylenol or other pain reliever
magazine for men (car, sports, workout)
humorous desktop calendar
gas card
money clip
massage gift certificate
fishing license
a little pouch of coins for a car wash
watch or new wedding ring
A small $1 photo album filled with pictures of yourself and kids at your nicest looking, silliest or from a special event or time spent with him.
A book of homemade coupons for a car detail, a night out with the guys, a night at with you, a favorite dish/dessert made for him, catering to his needs for one whole day, doing his chores, "naughty" coupons, massage, car wash anything- be creative!

My children: Ages 10,6,5 (all boys) and 1 (girl)
For the boys anything like:
coloring books (rolled up)
crayons, tape, glue, mini stapler
small building sets- lego, K'Nex
fake bugs and reptiles
playdoh
slime/flarp
hair styling stuff for spikes
not big on candy but they really like gum
books
flashcards (alphabet, multiplication etc)
card games or electronic handheld
hotwheels cars
yoyo
balls
musical instruments (have found a recorder/flute, harmonica, and tamborine at the $1 store)
movies
mini radio
watches
rubber/plastic dinosaurs or army men playsets
hot cocoa and other treats we don't get often
game console accesories: paddles, games, batteries
flashlights(definitely shake up)
pajamas
bubble bath
create an e-mail address for them to have and write their friends with- thats great spelling and punctuation practice.
Cookbooks for kids
craft supplies and ideas

for babies or girls:
bibs
rattles
clothes
babydolls
toothbrush
blocks
board or cloth books
small brush
hair things: bows, headbands
lotion
baby wash
shampoo
sippy cups/bottles
gas drops, infant tylenol or motrin
musical cd
balls
key ring
purse
ring stacker
toy cellphone
new washcloths
socks/shoes/booties
jewelry box (can be homemade)
jewelry (can also be homemade with beads)

The stockings are our favorite because those are specially ours and ours alone. We get a couple gifts each after that, but because we always use evryones stuff and share it all anyway we normally have family gifts: a box of books, movies, playdoh or craft supplies ETC..

My grandsons LOVE to receive a gold dollar coin in their stockings.

During this time of year i will go to the mall and ask for samples of perfume/cologne. They will give you the little sample bottles that are perfect to stuff stockings with.

I always got a tree ornament with the year on it. And when we were younger it was an engravable one with year and our name as there was three of us girls. I still love the idea to this day, and when I moved out on my own, I had a little collection for my own tree, with the memories behind them.