Keeping Celery Fresh

I recently read something about keeping celery fresh much longer by wrapping it in foil. What I missed was. Do I take the plastic cover off of it? And do I wash it before wrapping it?

Thanks,
Judy from Birmingham, AL

I work in produce, the way the store keeps lettuce,celery,and other veggies fresh is to crisp them. When you first get them, trim off the root, let sit for 5min in warm water, put in frig and then everyday we trim off a little bit of more root, and rinse with cold water. or let sit in cold water. But at home i crisp my lettuce when i first get it and then wrap tightly in plastic wrap to let no air in and leave it til i need it, i then only cut root if i use it again and rewrap and my lettuce lasts for around 2 weeks. good luck!

When I buy celery I break the ribs off & wash them real good.Trim the bottom part ,I then wet enough paper towel to wrap around it,put it in a plastic bag in the crisper drawer.It stays crisp & fresh for about two weeks.

I wash and cut up the celery into the sizes I want, then wrap tightly in foil, I put the foil in a plastic bag. The celery has lasted much longer that a few weeks.

I trim and wash celery, dry it and wrap it in a paper towel and then place it in a clean plastic bag. It keeps in the fridge for 3 weeks and is still crisp and good.

I tried this and it really did work well. I removed the plastic and wrapped the celery, intact, in aluminum foil and then kept it in the crisper in the bottom of the fridge. I didn't wash it first, I just pulled off stalks as needed & washed them then. Did keep the celery nice & crisp & fresh for quite some time.

Take the celery out of the plastic bag. Sometimes I remove the leaves, sometimes I don't. I don't wash it before wrapping in foil.

tupperware had a container for celery, it was a long rectangular box one with a lid, and had a slitted plastic footed, holder (which held it up from water) which help your celery to keep fresh, water was added to the bottom of container not touching the veg. it keeps it for quite awhile. Hope this helps. keep lid on it in refrigerator

Yes Take out of plastic bag. No need to wash. I have been doing this for years, Can keep up to 5 weeks.

Wash the celery. Slice into sticks. Store in a glass container with water. The celery will remain fresh and crisp. My mother used to do this with celery and carrots so that we had healthy snacks always at the ready.

Anonymous

take a paper towel, fold and refold to get a square the size of the celery bottom. soak towel in cold water, place on root end, return to plastic bag, wrap well in foil and it will keep very well