Feeding Birds without Feeding Pigeons

I love feeding the birds and squirrels but in doing so get tons of pigeons and they take over my bird feeders. How can I feed my birds but not welcome pigeons? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Noreen from Wyandotte, Mi

By Noreen (Guest Post)

I know the difference between pidgeons and doves--I have them both and love the doves. I helped circulate petitions to help stop the doves from being hunted on our last election in Michigan and the doves won!

By (Guest Post)

Pigeons need love too. If you still prefer to pigeon-hole certain bird types, perhaps you could post a sign that says "NO PIGEONS ALLOWED"? You could try writing it in pigeon-english.

I would have no problem with pigeons, per say. The problem arises with the fact that it's not only a few birds. If allowed to stay, the few become 25 then 50 then more and the birds you are actually seeking to feed can't eat because the numerous and gluttonous pigeons eat everything!

By srose (Guest Post)

What a bunch of pigeon/dove lovers here! Doesn't seem that anyone is interested in answering the question.

The bird store where I buy my seed told me to not to buy the seed with millet (the small round yellow seed) in it. It worked for me for a number of months. I just put my birdfeeder out a few days ago (being away all summer) and after two days the pigeons and doves are back.

By samfran (Guest Post)

I like pigeons just don't want them eating all the birdseed. They chase away the birds and I'll have a back yard full of pigeons. I used to get a varity of birds.

Anonymous

Pigeons are an absolute nuisance! I have doves, pigeons, native wild birds and squirrels. The pigeons eat all the food and poop everywhere. I am trying to find a way to feed the squirrels as I have squirrel proof bird feeders but still want to feed squirrels without pigeons eating everything.

not to mention the poooooooooooooooooo they leave EVERYWHERE they are a very dirty bird