AdviceGifts

Give Savings Bonds for Christmas

Save a bundle on expensive toys that kids will out grow or destroy and start them in the right direction of learning how to save, buy savings bonds. You will also save on wrapping paper, tape, gift tags and the hassle of wrapping gifts.

This truly will help give kids a valuable lesson in saving and when they are all grown up and see how much their bonds are worth once cashed in, they will be glad they had the bonds over the years verses toys to clutter up there rooms.

Source: All the children in our family will be receiving savings bonds for Christmas this year.

By Maryann Welden from Camden, MI

We've been doing that for years, both birthdays and Christmas. We just add a very small little fun gift for something else to unwrap. The kids/grandkids are flooded with a lot more stuff than they can ever enjoy and this is also building for their futures.

Years ago a co-worker told me her grandparents always had given her bonds and when she was older was able to buy a piano she couldn't have afforded otherwise and it always gave her pleasure thinking about where it had come from.

I believe interest is only one percent now. I purchased them in the past for gifts but you would be better to open a CD or Money Market account and get a little more interest.

Years ago bonds continued to earn interest even after their mature date. I am not sure I believe these were EE Bonds. The bonds they have now Mature at the face value of the bond and earn nothing more after that. So please ask at the bank about that first.

Now having said all that, back in the 60' & 70's we kids were happy to get our bond each Christmas from Grandma. I also gave them as gifts to all nieces and nephews until the late 80's.