Shortening Pants

Category Alterations

Sometimes pants may fit perfectly in the waist but are too long. This is a guide about shortening pants.

I have been shortening jeans for my son using instructions posted on Thriftyfun to use the original hem. I have tried using Heat'n Bond tape to fasten the leftover jean material up the inside of each leg, but I cannot get the stuff to seal. I have followed the instructions and sometimes it works, sometimes not. I haven't figured out what the difference is. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated

By mhewitt556

Your problem may lie in the fact the fabric is too heavy. If you read the instructions I believe it tells you to use on a double layer. To get this to work you may have to try putting a dish towel between your jeans and the iron and hold it on longer. The dish towel will prevent scorching the fabric.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

I know you asked about Heat 'n' bond but what about fabric glue instead.

When I used the method of shortening jeans etc that you are using I have never used it but seems it would work. So far I have just clipped the excess fabric from the jeans, pants, etc. close to the seam you made when hemming.

Thanks for your advice, kerredur. I am curious however, how you get the bottom to lie flat after washing. Seems to me it would want to curl if you cut it. And did you do anything to stop the fraying? Thanks