Best Way To Store Tomatoes?

What is the best way to store tomatoes? I have been told never to refrigerate because tomatoes lose their taste.

By Anna Brown (Guest Post)

If they are green and you want to ripen them, put them in a brown paper bag. Or wrap them in news paper and lay in a single layer, keeping them in a cool dark place, depending on how long you want them to keep, but not direct sunlight. If you want them to ripen quickly, place them in a warm place, but not direct sunlight. I find this works better then putting them in the frig. I also just leave them out of the frig. if there already ripe.

By Rasta (Guest Post)

I just bring them home from the store or in season in from the garden and lay them on the kitchen counter in a basket lined with paper towels top side down single layer and they are fine for several days. Check for bad spots now and then, but I have always done this and it works for me.

In a basket on the counter.
If they seem to be getting too soft, dice them and freeze for cooking use.

NEVER refrigerate tomatoes. They will have no taste.

Tomatoes lose their flavor when refrigerated. I always just leave mine on the counter or in the window sill if they still need a little ripening. The only time I refrigerate is if I am marinating them or have put some in a salad.

I too, just store them on the counter in a paper towel lined bowl or basket. If I have green ones from the garden that I want to ripen quickly, I put an apple, especially a couple of crabapples from my tree (same season) in with the green tomatoes, and they ripen more quickly.

If you have a lot of green tomatoes to ripen gradually, store them in a box or paper lined plastic tray. My grandmother stored them under the bed, but any cooler (not refrigerated) dry place would do. Do not put them in a sunny window. Off the vine, they do not need sun to ripen. It just leads to early spoilage.

Louise, SK Canada

Tomatoes can be frozen whole. Just wash and put in a paper bag. When you need to use one, just run it under cold water. The skin will come right off. Let it thaw out and use as any other tomato.

Food and Recipes StorageAugust 19, 2007
🌻
😎
😷
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf20381248.tip.html