social

Eating Moldy Cheese

Moldy cheese is still safe to eat. Just cut away the mold.

By Linda

Editor's Note: Here's some more information on moldy cheese.

"Question - Is it healthy to eat moldy cheese?

Some cheese is actually made by introducing mold into it! Some examples are Roquefort, blue, Gorgonzola, and Stilton cheese. These molds are completely safe to eat. However, if you have a soft cheese that becomes moldy, it is best to through it away. If you have a hard cheese that becomes moldy, cut the mold off an inch around each side. Make sure your knife doesn't touch the mold. Re-wrap the cheese in a new wrap or container. Eating moldy cheese can cause allergic reactions or respiratory problems. Some molds even produce a type of toxin that can make you sick. It is better to be safe than sorry, don't eat moldy cheese unless it's the safe kind of mold!

Advertisement

Grace Fields"

Source: Newton
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/gen01/gen01729.htm

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

January 2, 20050 found this helpful

If you have a dog, give the moldy cheese to the dog. All dogs love cheese. Note, when our cocker spaniel was expecting, the vet said that cheese was high in calcium and so besides her human (one that we could take) calcium tablet each day, we also gave her cheese.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 9, 20070 found this helpful

don't give your dog mouldy cheese... ever...
My dog just got two seizures from eating mouldy cheeese. My dog is 13 years old and I'm only giving him dog food from now on.

Advertisement

No treats of human food ever. Sorry, but I thought he was having a stroke and was going to die. Don't give your dog mouldy cheese. It isn't worth the risk.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 23, 20180 found this helpful

I agree completely with not eating moldy cheese. I had an aunt who ate some moldy cheese, developed a severe allergic reaction and died in the hospital several days days later from the allergic reaction which could not be reversed.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 10, 20190 found this helpful

Make sure your knife doesn't touch the moldThat is hilariousHow do you cut the mold off with a knife without the knife touching the moldThats just plain silly. As you slice around each side, after each slice, wipe both sides of the knife with the blade facing away from you using a paper towel. That way, you dont ever cut the next slice with mold on the knife.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Advertisement

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Advertisement

In This Page
Categories
Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesJanuary 1, 2005
Pages
More
😷
Coronavirus Tips
🎃
Halloween Ideas!
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Instagram
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Categories
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-10-04 06:12:59 in 2 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf213945.tip.html