Hanging Curtains Over Wooden Blinds

Category Curtains
If your new blinds are not mounted in the window casing it can make installing curtains a bit more of a project. This is a guide about hanging curtains over wooden blinds.

I just installed new 2 in. wooden blinds. The blinds stick out 4" from the wall; therefore I need a curtain rod that extends out from the wall more than 4". The curtain rods are not deep enough to cover the blinds. Where can I find simple curtain rods that are 5-6 in. in depth?

Mary

Answers

Best Answer

Hi,
One solution I use is to put a block of wood behind the fixtures. I usually use ones the size of the Ginga Puzzle. In fact I bought one at a thrift store. All I do is screw the block into the wall and then the fixture into the block. Sometimes I need to paint the blocks if you can see them. I'll paint them the color of the wall.
Good Luck
kali

Best Answer

I bought, at J. C. Penny's;"extenders" to make your curtain rod deeper. I think it makes the rod about an inch and a half deeper. The extenders are pieces of metal or plastic, that fit on the end of the curtain rod. They work great. They might be made by Kirsch. I think they cost about $3-5$.

How about getting a another curtain rod at a thrift shop, using a tin snippers, you can cut whatever length you actually need + an inch or so extra? Insert the cut ends into your rod, and hang as usual.

Kirsh makes a valance rod that has deeper sides, since it is made to go over a standard curtain rod. It fits on the basic hardware that holds a standard rod up. It should work for you. I'm not sure who would sell them in your area, but you could look them up and order them online. Just google "curtain valance rods." They aren't too expensive either.

Or I've seen people make their own out of PVC (or copper) pipe, using an elbow for the turn. The PVC probably wouldn't work too well if the curtain is heavy or the the window large (it might bow under the weight), without some kind of support. Happy decorating!