Walnut Shells Filled With Surprises

An easy, inexpensive and fun stocking stuffer that my grandchildren have enjoyed. Crack walnuts in half, clean out the nut meat and save the shells (in an empty egg carton to keep the matching sides together. You can fill them with change, small jewelry, miniature animals, I.O.U. notes (for a batch of cookies, or help with homework, etc.) Then glue the halves back together, paint them if you like and a Christmas stocking is filled with inexpensive, fun surprises.

By Sandra from Yakima, WA

I like that idea. it is very interesting and I'm going to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous

What a cute idea!

Ingenious!

This is a fun idea! I did this about 4 years ago for my adult children and their spouses. I give them each a stocking every year because they said that I can NOT give them gifts if I want to but I cannot discontinue their stockings. LOL About 4 years ago I opened the walnuts , like described here and filled them with paper money folded real small. I included a nutcracker for each of them so they could open the walnuts. To throw them off I also included some regular walnuts that had not been opened. They still talk about it!

Remember the story about Thumalina? She slept in a walnut shell with covers of rose petals. When I was 10, I took walnut shells and had my father drill a hole in the wide ends. I used a piece of wire to make a hinge. Then coated them with clear fingernail polish with glitter. Back then you could get wood fiber indifferent colors. I got some pink and cut the petal shapes. Found some little dolls that would fit, made little nightgowns for them to wear. Then put them together. I had 6 friends and gave them all one for Christmas. I lost mine over the years but one of my friends told me she still had hers. That was over 50 years ago.