Instead of Rice, Throw Flower Petals

This tip is from my daughter's recent wedding. She wanted something for everyone to throw that would be different than the usual. We looked into several things and found that assorted flower petals from Flowerama were cheap and beautiful.

Not only did they look great as they were thrown into the air, but they filled the air with the most wonderful scent! These flower petals are the "rejects" from the flower shops but they are more than adequate for this. They were cheaper than rice bags, bird seed bags, bubbles, and bells.

By Robin

i think that is a wonderful idea. does n e one else have other ideas besides flower petals to throw for the bride and groom. i am getting married in may and am looking for original, inexpensive ideas.

thanks in advance.
melissa perez

I don't know how inexpensive this is, but I went to wedding several years back, where the guests released helium balloons as the bride and groom exited the church. They used white ones and also the color of the attendants gowns, predominantly white. If you bought balloons in bulkand the curling ribbon in a large roll, from a party store, you could probably rent a helium tank to fill them yourselves, which would be cheaper than buying them already filled. It was a beautiful sight as the balloons soared to the skies.

By Sharon,Ky (Guest Post)

At my nephew's wedding they passed aound a Huge basket of red rose petals to throw. Bet it costed a lot but it was beautiful and it saves wrapping all those little bags of birdseed.Dollar tree stores carry those little bottles so for my son's wedding I dressed them up since they were plain white with clear irredescent wrap like you'd use on a basket and tied a tiny bow on it to bunch it up at the top.

There are 10-12 in a box usually.A friend released two white doves after her wedding.

By GraNita (Guest Post)

Please, please don't release balloons. I know it's awesome, I once saw it at a wedding before I learned better. Balloons can travel a long way and wind up in rivers and lakes and the ocean too. Fish and water birds think they are getting a marvelous treat and then choke to death on them. Live & let live... the flower petals sound so much nicer and don't hurt anything except the sweeper's back....

Check with the church or reception hall - part of the reson they don't like rice or birdseed or flower petals is that people could slip on the loose things on the ground and the insurance liability. Also - clean up is a factor.

It started out because birds ate the rice and got sick but there are so many reasons they don't like thrown stuff now...

At my niece's wedding they got the soap bubbles - they looked so cool walking through this halo of bubbles.

By sandy (Guest Post)

you can slip on the bubbles because of course they are soaop. if you do the bubble inside on the carpet they stain. be careful

By Kelli (Guest Post)

At just about any bridal shop you can pick up streamers that attached to your finger. As the bride & groom come running out everyone releases the streamers (at the right time). There is no clean up because people throw them away in the trash. It looks VERY cool to see also.

By Maria (Guest Post)

My cousin had a great idea, instead of petals or rice or birdseeds every person had a white box in it it contained one butterfly. It was just gorgeous.

By (Guest Post)

Petals sound great, but please not the poor butterflies in a box.

By BECK K (Guest Post)

I'm trying to find dried flower bud like things to throw after the wedding. I saw them in Brides Magazine. Can't find anywhere?

Working in weddings for many years, there is a simple answer to this. Most churches are very strict and require you to clean up all that is thrown before leaving the church. Especially if it is a Saturday wedding, all signs of a wedding must be gone by Sunday morning. Rice is not only dangerous to birds and other animals, is very dangerous when stepping on it on sidewalks and in parking lots. It does not crush like bird seed, and will roll under your feet causing bad falls. I can't stress enough to FORGET RICE, BUBBLES & SPARLERS. I haven't seen a church in a long time that allows sparklers on the property.

Bubbles will stain the bride's dress. Balloons are pretty, but go straight up and are pricey. Popcorn is OK but a mess and has to be cleaned up because children will eat it from the ground. Confetti is horrible to clean up, but must be swept away, the same with rose petals. My advice is stick with bird seed, it is approved by churches & Banguet Halls to be left on the ground. It crushes when you step on it, not cause people to fall. It is dirt cheap, easy to tie in net squares, and feeds animals. It is tradition to toss something at the bride and groom, so be green and use bird seed.

I found a great idea for tossing, biodegradable confetti! It's inexpensive, and only requires a garden hose for clean-up, seeing as how it dissolves when it gets wet.

It's made from rice starch, so there is no chemical residue, and it will not stain or harm wildlife. :) You can find it at ecoparti.com.