AdviceWeddings

Helping My Best Friend Who Is Getting Married

My best friend since high school is getting married next year and she is already driving me nuts. I am her maid of honor and so, of course, I want to help her in anyway possible. Well everything I try to suggest or give advice on is just shrugged off with a whatever or I don't care.

We live far away from one another so (sad to say, thankfully) I am not there in person or I would go nuts. Should I just stand back and let her do it all? She is having issues with her family and the wedding and I understand that but I don't want her attitude. It drives me away from helping her. Any suggestions?

Texasteacher

Trust me, it can be a lot of stress on a family. Be a good friend and offer to help her out on something like favors and let her know in a kind way that with the distance between the two of you, she'll have to trust your judgement on what you come up with.If she declines,you've done your part in offering to help.Copy a few suggestions from this web site and send her.I have a tip on making a ring bearer pillow and guest book cover in the Wedding articles. These are little things which you could do to help.Trust me, sometimes you're better off to do as little as possible in touchy situations.

Sounds like she doesn't want any help so the best thing you can do is sit back and let her do what she wants to do and just be a cheer leader sending lots of "You go Girl!"

It sounds like a very stressful situation. First thing I would do, if she has lists of what needs to be done, have her email them, any family problems have her email, or make a list. To get her to calm down you may need to give family members a call. Or better yet, tell her how stressed your getting. I hope this helps, the stress in preparation for a wedding some people go through just isn't worth it.

Kim

Be a good encouraging friend like the other posters said. Also, I would give her the address for Thrifty Fun and tell her how many good ideas there are here.

I agree. Just let her know that if she needs help all she has to do is ask. Offering with nothing but negative feedback is disheartening. Don't let it get to you.

I suggest, if you can afford it, find a place near her that does massages, buy a gift certificate for a half hour and mail it to her with an encouraging card.

She WILL appreciate it .

Some people like lots of help and some like to do it all themselves. I would simply tell her that you will be happy to help if there is something that she would like you to do. If there are some things you don't want or can't do, tell her now upfront. Ask her to keep in touch via email. That way you won't be so annoyed by the 'attitude'. I would send her any helpful articles you may find, but otherwise, keep the suggestions to yourself unless asked.

Be honest with yourself and your friend. Your feelings will continue and you will for sure wish you weren't apart of her wedding. Tell her how you feel. If she is your friend then she will listen. Tell her how you felt when you gave suggestions and how she made you feel. She might not be aware of what she's projecting. Remember it's not what you say, more how you say it. Think about what exactly is frustrating you about the whole thing. What really matters to be said. Really think about it. Then way out what needs to change for you to be apart of one of the most important days of your friends life.

Unlike your friend, I would have loved having suggestions, help planning. I wasn't as fortunate to having helpers till the very last minute. I felt better late than never. Thanks to my efforts, I had a memorible beautiful wedding day. Honestly she needs you more than she knows how to ask! Good luck! Happy wedding planning!