Making a Santa Hat Purse
Make a cute purse for the holidays from a Santa hat. This is a page about making a Santa hat purse
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is so easy to make and inexpensive.
- a cheap Santa hat
- material for the liner, less then 1/2 yard
- small amount of black material for handles
- You take the Santa hat and lay flat.
- Take your pom pom and bring it up to the bottom of the white fur rim. Cut across, put this aside.
- Take the top part and lay flat on your liner material. Cut out hat shape, adding approximately 1/2 inch around.
- Take your hat and sew across the bottom, put aside.
- Sew around your liner, leaving the top open. Insert this into hat top. /li>
- Match the seams up. Fold down top of liner to match that of hat.
- Make your two handles out of the black material.
- Take tip of hat and position it under the liner and pin in place.
- Pin your handles on each side of the hat tip. Put the other handle on the opposite side matching it up with your other handle. Pin in place. Sew around the top of your liner.
- Take out pins and walla! Santa hat purse.
This is not my idea, but makes a quick and cute idea for the young and young at heart.
By Madeline from Jacksonville, AL
This is a cute Christmas purse made from an old Santa's hat you might have stashed away in the Christmas decorations.
Approximate Time: 1 hour
- Santa's hat
- needle and thread for hand sewing
- fabric for straps (44 inches long x 2 1/2 inches wide)
- fabric for lining
- Measure around the opening of the hat just below the fur on the inside.
- Cut a piece of fabric about 1 inch wider then that measurement in order to allow for stretching and seam allowance. Make it as long as you want. But it should only go as far as the hat goes until it starts going into the point. Unless you want the lining to be exactly as long as the whole hat.
- Sew the seams of the lining.
- Cut a piece of fabric for the straps 44 inches long by 2 1/2 inches wide. Fold the sides in towards the center, fold in half and stitch down the center.
- Cut the strap fabric into 2 pieces. Pin inside the purse at the place the lining is being attached. Space them evenly from one side to the other and across from each other. Adjust the length to your liking. Mine were about 22 inches long.
- Hand sew the lining to the inside of the hat and the straps in place.
- Machine sew the bottom of the lining.
- At this point you can attach Velcro inside for a closure.
- If you want the snowball on the point to hang down. Do nothing more. If you want the snowball folded up you can hand stitch it to the purse to secure. Carry and enjoy.
By D.Lockwood from Millbury, OH