Fruit Flies and Summer Gnats

I have had a problem the past 2 years with flies in the house that look like fruit flies or May flies. It begins in September and continues til maybe November. How do I get rid of them and what are they? I thought they might be coming from the soil in my houseplants. Please help, they're driving me crazy!

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Dianne from Salem, NH

Best Answer

Dianne,
I read that using cider vinegar (brown) works great. I put about 1/4 cup, in a plastic container with 1 Tablespoon of sugar and a little dish soap (1-2 drops). You don't even have to mix. I put a lid or plastic wrap over the top and poke a small hole. They will come and don't seem to find their way out. I freshen it every 1 1/2-2 weeks! Hope it works! AnniePat

If they are breeding in your house plants, which might be happening, I don't think the cider vinegar thing is going to work. I did use this trick, using red wine, and the drunken sots died, but the teetotaller flies were still cruising around the kitchen. It doesn't work as well as some say it does.

You could try repotting the house plants in fresh soil. Do you have them outside in the summer, and then they have these gnats when you bring them back in?

I would spray them with an insecticide soap or Raid.

I take a small glass pour about half the glass with apple cider vinegar and a squirt of dawn dish washing liquid (I use the fruit smelling ones) then take a piece of tin foil cover the glass and poke several holes in the glass set them out everywhere the gnats are seen, they get in and can't get out it is awesome! Really works.