BasketsGifts

Give a Little Getaway Instead of a Gift for Christmas

Wanting to make every dollar count this year at Christmastime and with 6 grown kids, 3 with spouses I decided to approach gift giving a little differently. We used our Air Miles to purchase each one of the couples a $50.00 gift certificate for a dinner out, movie ticket packages that include drinks and popcorn. We will also include a sum of cash to cover taxi, tips or whatever they may want.

I then went to a local bargain store and purchased metal indoor rustic planters and began to fill them with items I got by using my Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum points and coupons. I bought things like, body washes for each gender, Toblerone chocolate, fancy candles, his and her towels, bath fizz, box of Triscuits, little package of liqueur chocolates. I then bought each one a red cloth Christmas tablecloth to set the planter in and pull up around and tie with a ribbon. I also bought a small Christmas hand towel and wrapped a package of vintage cheese as a go along but that will be kept in the fridge until Christmas instead of under the tree.

This will either provide a much needed getaway for the parents or a family outing, which ever they want. This certainly turned out to be a very frugal but fun gift for our kids. No worries about it being the right size, colour or style this year ...

Hurray! I also found it so much fun finding and creating these it replaced all the stress I usually feel with excitement.

Merry Christmas one and all.

By Bestbiddy from Belleville, ON Canada

Great Ideas BestBiddy! I think I had a lot less airmiles than you, but I was still able to get a $10 Starbucks Card, 2-1 Movie Coupon & a $20 Grocery Gift Certificate (I have starving student friends!). Never thought of using my optimum points from Shoppers, good idea! :) My theme this year is to get things people need as opposed to junk they don't. So movie, restaurant and grocery coupons are all things people will use :) Thanks for your post!