Decorative Shower Diaper Cake

I wanted to share the diaper cake that I made for my sister's baby shower. It makes a great decoration as well as gift!

I started out rolling the diapers up and using rubber bands to secure them. As it got bigger I used string to tie them together. When each tier was to the size I wanted, I secured it with the string then wrapped it in a pretty wired ribbon.

I used a dowel up the center to hold it all together. Silk flowers were used to top the cake and decorate the sides for a more elegant look but you could put all kinds of toys and goodies as decoration. I put it on a matching receiving blanket and surrounded it with cards I made with sayings about babies and used pretty candles to accent. (On the first tier you can see the nametags I made for the parents-to-be with ribbon elephants glued on for fun.)

I bought the size 3 diapers from Costco and used almost the whole box (about 180). (I used the larger ones because babies grow so quickly.)

By Christine from Spanaway, WA

Beautiful! It looks like a real edible cake.

Was this baby shower cake your own creation, or did you follow a craft pattern?

I love this! It looks so elegant. I have made these for friends but each tier has it's own "theme". I put baby spoons around the middle tier, the top i put a taggy blanky rolled in the very middle for a centerpiece on top then hang pacifiers down the sides. Around the bottom tier, I usually roll up some burp cloths and strategically place them instead of the diapers. Then add travel sizes of shampoo, soap, and diaper rash ointment! Every one that recieves one absolutely loves them! Now I'll have to make the "elegant" kind, too :) Thanks for the ideas!

By siris (Guest Post)

What a great idea. It looks real. You are crafty!

Thank you for your compliments! This was the first "cake" I ever made and just kept building it until I felt it was just right.

You don't need a pattern - it is very easy! I had a lot of guests assume it was real and had to do double takes! Very fun!

By kellymammamia (Guest Post)

Wow, nice job. Very nice presentation. kr

That is really a very pretty diaper cake.

Crafts Party CenterpiecesDecember 5, 2007
😷
🌻
📓
🐛
Generated 2020-08-18 11:18:38 in 969 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf35522077.tip.html