HealthDogs

Does My Dog Have Ear Mites?

How will I know if my dog has ear mites, or a yeast infection, or just very dirty waxy ears? I clean his ears with Ear Cleanse at least twice a week, but the wax build-up is still very bad.

He shakes his head all the time, but scratches his ears only a very small amount. The wax is black/brown, very sticky, and very thick. Some parts are very dry, and some parts are very oily.

By David from Mooresville, NC

They have doctors for that sort of thing. You need to find one and make an appointment.

Anonymous

If you do not have the money to take your dog to the vet you could call and ask. Or if you have a groomer they will be able to tell. Mine told me my dog had yeast and now I used vinegar and water women's douche on his ears. Put a little on cotton ball rub around outside of ear, then drop a little inside and rub ear. The dog will shake loose what is in ear and the black and red will go away. Good luck. I wish we all had the $ to go to the vets every time we thought something was wrong w/our family members but w/the economy the way it is it is just not affordable.

One of mine [a recent rescue pup] had the same problem and the Vet found that her ear was badly infected to the point that the canal was swollen shut! She was having teeth removed under anesthetic, so he was able to clean her ear out and sent her home with Mometamax ointment to be used for a month. She's 100% better and still has 2½ weeks to go on the medication. One happy pup!

Please take your dog to the vet, I just went through this and my baby had two inner ear infections, you as a human knows what 1 ear ache can feel like but 2 at one time is excruciating, don't try to medicate yourself. Get to the vet right away, he or she could be in real pain plus damage to the eardrum could be getting worse. Deby

You never stated what your Veterinarian's diagnosis was.