Costume Jewelry Christmas Wall Hanging

Is this a Christmas tree kit? I got it at a sale a long time ago. No one seems to know what I have, but I just came across your site! Maybe you have the answer. Thanks!

By suzanne from Lafontaine, IN

I have known people in the past that made those trees out of old costume jewelry. I have always wanted to make one but never seem to have enough of the right kind jewelry to use.

Anonymous

Garage sales are a great place to pick up old jewelry.

I saw something similar on Antiques Roadshow. It was a sculpture made from old jewelry and other small objects. There was a name for it. I can't remember the name but at one time it was fashionable to make these things from objects that a loved one owned and wore in their lifetime, after they passed on.

They are a form of folk art and had a lot of value.

The wares you are referring to are usually vases & pots incrusted with jewelry & other small pieces, set in a clay like material. Its called memoryware & is considerably older than the Xmas tree pictures, but slong the same lines.

I bought costume jewelery in bulk off Ebay and designed and made my own Christmas trees. I have 3 of them. This was popular back in the 30's and 40's. I don't know if there are kits but I think a persons own imagination, a velvet backed picture frame or shadow box, and some junk jewelery makes it good to go.

You can even drill holes in the backing and add some Christmas lights through the back, I use battery operated ones.

Thats funny Debby, I just found these costume jewelry trees today and I was thinking there was no way I would have enough to make one of those trees. My next thought was, wait dont they sell costume jewelry in bulk on ebay? Sounds like a fun idea. I know you posted this so many years back but I just wanted to tell you in case you still frequent the site. Happy crafting!

I want to make one of these using old family jewelry - nothing really valuable but not sure I want to remove the clips from the earrings, ultimately destroying them. Do you think it would be possible to add the pieces into a piece of fabric covered styrofoam?

I dont know about it being a kit per say, but the end results of a craft project. It seems this had been a growing trend for awhile, using costume jewelry to make Christmas decorations such as trees, ornaments, and pictures.

Very cute, and depending on the costume jewelry it may be somewhat valuable. If it is very old jewelry or well known designers it may be more than just junk jewelry to todays standards.

Crafts ChristmasApril 12, 2011
🎄
🎉