Christmas Craft Ideas for Toddlers

Category Christmas
Finding Christmas crafts geared to toddlers allows your little ones to help create decorations and more. This is a guide about Christmas craft ideas for toddlers.

Anybody have great Christmas craft ideas for my class of 2 year olds? Thank you.

Marsha from Eagle, ID

Answers

Best Answer

I always loved using old Christmas cards, punching holes around the edges. Tape the ends of yarn and let them "sew" them.

Best Answer

How about a plaster of Paris hand print? I know it will take a lot of adult help but what a special surprise for mom & dad. Take a pie tin. Pour the plaster as directed. When it has set enough have them press one of their hands on the almost dried plate. When it is dry the next they can paint the plate with washable paints. Be sure to write their name, age and class on the back of the plate.

They can (write) their name on the front as best they can copy your light pencil tracing. I did this with my nephew and it turned out really really cute. Mom & Dad loved it. He is 17 now but the print is there to remember when.

Let toddlers decorate gingerbread decorations.

Christmas gifts that your small children can help make. Here are some ideas posted from the ThriftyFun community.

Glass Ornaments

When my boys were little we took glass ornaments, these were the ones that were colored, now you can buy clear ones. We cut up shiny paper, either wrapping paper or any other type of paper that is shiny, cut it into small pieces and put it in the ornaments. Then we took a gold marker and put our names on them, the date, "Merry Christmas" and the person that was to recieve them. My family members still have them and put them on their tree every year. We all had a lot of fun doing it together. If you use the one with colors inside, just pour in some bleach, shake and that will remove the color. Be sure to wear gloves if you do this. It's a keepsake that lasts a lifetime. Have fun, and good luck.

By Stacey

Be Creative

Make gifts by taking old pictures and making some type of collage and frame it. This may work for the younger ones, maybe even for the older ones. Get old frames (wood or metal) and let them make their own type of frames. Same with stationary. Kids have a large sense of creativity and can come up with many things. Simple things and/or inexpensive "crafts" can get their imaginations going. One year for my niece's birthday party, I went out and bought small canvas bags; you can get them at Walmart for $.97 cents, put some fabric paint with it and let them make their own things. The total cost for me was about $10.00.

By Stacey Liddle

Santa's Smelly Socks

Someone posted this somewhere else but what about Santa's Smelly Socks?

By Johnathan

Make Cookies

You can make thumbprint cookies and have all the kids involved. The little one can make the thumbprint and the others can help with the filling, or whatever is age-appropriate. We also made cinnamon ornaments one year. Both recipes are on the internet. Just Google!

By mckaysatt

Candy Cane Craft

I have a 2, 4, 6 & 8 year old and they love to make candy canes out of beads and pipe cleaners. Even my 2 year old can do it, plus it's a good hand, eye coordination skill for him. You may even be able to use the thicker pipecleaners (or use 2 or 3 together) with the larger pony beads!

By Nona

Calendars

One neat idea is to make calendars. Have the children make an art page for each month on colored construction paper, then print out the calendar pages on your printer, and bind them together with small rings, plastic binders, or tie them with ribbon. You can do handprint art, etc. Here are the ideas I have used:

You get the idea, use your imagination. It makes a great gift!

By Kay

Handprint Coasters

Another idea: Make handprints with paint on paper or cloth, cut around them in a circular shape, then laminate them. They make great coasters!

By Kay

Handprints

How about mixing up some plaster of paris or even play dough and pressing her hand prints in it - even feet - Then you can "help" her print her name and date on it. I'm a gramma and I'd love it!

By Marlene

Handprint Wreath

I was looking on the web and found a Christmas wreath. You trace your childs hands on construction paper, (4 red and 4 green), glue them togeather to make a circle... and then in the middle place a picture of the child. I think I'm going to do this for my parents and in-laws this year myself.

By chenoa

Footprint Cards

Make a reindeer or Santa on a blank Christmas card using her foot print for the head of the reindeer or the Santa body (foot dipped in tempera paint and used as a stamp, then add the details of antlers and eyes, etc. with whatever to make it fancy.

Post your ideas below.

Answers

Best Answer

Place the hands, palms down on a piece of paper with the thumbs touching. Have an adult trace around both hands. Then have the child connect the ends of the fingers with a crayon line. Let them use bright colors to decorate and then a black crayon line upward from each thumb and you have a lovely butterfly.
I'm not sure what they are called but the little disc that goes on top of a canning jar to seal it makes a nice little photo frame for a school picture. It has a "gold" rim around and a piece of ribbon or string can be attached to hang it on the Christmas tree.