Best Laundry Detergent for New Born Baby Clothing?

What is the best laundry detergent for a newborn? I went to buy Dreft, but didn't know it was so expensive. Any suggestions?

By Onesummer

Best Answer

I'd use the ones that have no color or scent added. Costco or Sam's have their own brand in large jugs. All makes a variety of this called "free & clear".

Best Answer

Any dye and perfume free detergent is safe for baby clothes. I make my own detergent now, and it works well. I don't have a baby so I don't know how well it would work for you. My yongest is 2. 10 cups washing soda, 8 bars Zote soap, 10 cups borax. Grate the soap bars up and mix with the other two ingredients. Can be processed in food processor to make a fine powder. I don't have one so I put a cup or two at a time in my blender and blend unil smooth. Takes a little effort, but makes a huge batch, and very easy to store.

Put in a bucket, canister, or tin. Or even measure out 1/4 cup into individual sandwich bags and add one to washer before clothes. It is supposed to be good for sensitive skin, and people with eczema or psoriasis. I'd give it a try. If you send me a message with your address I could send you a couple uses worth that I have made up already. It's about $15 to make a very large batch. I do at least ten loads of laundry a week, and if I use 1/4 cup every load it would last at least two months.

My whole family has used whatever laundry product we happened to have on hand. About the only time there should be a problem if is anybody developed an allergy to whatever type of detergent you used.

The reason they recommend Dreft is because it doesn't have harsh detergents that could cause an allergic reaction or irritate a babies sensitive skin, I've always used my homemade laundry soap for all our clothes, it doesn't irritate anyone even my son-in-law who is hyper-allergic to everything can use this soap. for really tough organic stains I add a scoop of (generic) Oxy-Clean.

Same as redhatterb, I always used the same laundry soap on baby clothes as I did for my family, except with my 1st baby until I learned I didn't need to use anything special. I'd even throw the baby clothes in with everyone elses most of the time. Only problem I ever had was when that 1st baby was allergic to Ivory Snow, which is made for babies!

Parenting Baby AdviceMarch 16, 2011
📓
🌻
😷
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf51098910.tip.html