Ornaments from Argo Clay

I make Christmas ornaments out of Argo clay. I then fix a gift basket or bag with the ornament and paints. I also, include the ornament hangers.

Kids love painting them. They can give them as gift or keep themselves. They last for years.

Argo Clay Recipe

Need: 2 cups of baking soda, 1 cup of Argo cornstarch, 1 1/2 cups water, saucepan.

Instructions: Mix all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until the mixture looks like mashed potatoes. If the mixture cooks too long, the finished ornaments may crack. Cover with a damp cloth until cool enough to handle. Then form clay into shapes (example snowmen, etc.) I also roll out the dough and use a cookie cutter to cut out ornaments. I place them on a cookie sheet for a couple of days. When they are dry, I package them.

By Jean

Related:

By Arlene (Guest Post)

What kind of paint do you use. Also do you make a hole in the ornament for hanging? If so, how? Should the recipe read Let Cook or Let Cool? Thanks

Hi,
I looked around and found the original source for the recipe and amended the recipe that Jean sent in. Thanks for noticing. There is also a .pdf file that there is a link to that you can download with more instructions for making ornaments.

About the holes, make the holes for hanging before drying the ornaments.
Susan from ThriftyFun

Make a hole in these with a coffee stirrer, it makes just the right sized hole.