Beano Substitute

If you are gassy after eating beans, it might be helpful to try using Beano or a Beano substitute before eating beans. This is a guide about Beano substitute.

Is there something that will take some of the gas out of beans that I can use, instead of buying Beano?

TabbiC

Answers

By Delaine (Guest Post)
Best Answer

My mom puts a potato in her beans... I dont know how it works but we have never had a problem with gas either.

By Connie Henry (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I used to have the same problem until I started cooking a peeled carrot in with my beans. You can throw the carrot away when the beans are done or you can eat the carrot but the gas is gone. At least it seems to cut it out 95%. That's a big plus. I will not eat beans now without the carrot cooked in with them.

By Vi (Guest Post)
Best Answer

After soaking the washed beans over night. My mother-in-law used a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in the water after the beans had started to simmer. Then she skimmed off the foam and then add a little more water and simmer until tender.

It seems to work. I've been doing that for years.We just finished a 2 lb package of pintos. And it works with pink beans too.

By Donna in Kansas (Guest Post)
Best Answer

One thing I do is the quick-soak method listed on the package. I cover the beans with water, bring to a boil, let them boil 2 minutes, then remove from heat. I let them sit at least an hour, then pour off all of the water, refill the pan with clean water and boil for a couple of hours. Something about the first boiling seems to break open the outside coating of the bean, letting the gas-producing stuff out. But whatever you do, do not eat, drink or otherwise consume the water that you first boiled the beans in. I've heard if you do, it will bring very unpleasant results to you and those around you. Good luck.

By Ginger J (Guest Post)
Best Answer

We use a pressure cooker to cook pinto beans after soaking them overnight. Twice we have added 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda to "help take the gas out" and twice we have blown up the pressure cooker.

It only happens when we add baking soda to the soaking water. Why?

By Tracy (Guest Post)
Best Answer

My family has always used baking soda to cut down on the gassy effect from beans. The soda is added when you are merely soaking the beans. The beans are drained after soaking and then rinsed. All I can say is that it works. Remember ALWAYS rinse the beans after soaking. If you are making something like chili then you may have a science project your kid can take to school if you dont rinse the beans (remember the volcano made with paper mache that you use baking soda and vinegar or ketchup with?).

Best Answer

There is a Mexican herb named epazote that can be cooked with the beans to remove the gas causing agent.

I need substitute for Beano that can be used for preventing gas and bloating from eating beans and vegetables.

Ed Langley from Rockford, Illinois

Answers

Best Answer

Why buy Beano when a few slices of fresh ginger root can do the job, as well as many others.

1. Put a few slices of ginger in the dry bean soaking water, toss out with the water and cook the beans. For a hint of ginger in the beans add 2 or 3 slices to the cooking water. Prevents the gas forming formations.

2. For your fresh caught fish, a few slivers of ginger root in the cavity with green onion takes the blood taste out.

Fresh ginger root has hundreds of other uses.

To keep from molding, store in glass jar in white wine.

By Carolyn Choi

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

You can put baking soda in your beans while you are cooking dried beans. You can also put carrots in your cabbage while cooking it to help avoid gas.

Best Answer

I always soak my dry beans overnight with a pinch of baking soda..also put a pinch in the pot when I cook them. I also use only the Goya brand beans...They are far less gas producing! I never have problems with the ugly hot air when I do all of the above.

By Connie A. (Guest Post)
Best Answer

When I cook beans I always cook them with a peeled carrot. Sounds strange but it works. When the are done you can either eat the carrot or throw it away but the gas is gone when you use this method.

I've done this for years. I really didn't think it would work but somehow it does.

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Some cooks suggest adding a small amount of baking soda to the cooking water to soften it. We don't recommend this because baking soda may give the beans a soapy flavor and its ability to improve the bean cooking process has not been proved. Amounts of baking soda over 1/8 teaspoon per cup of beans may destroy the thiamine (Vitamin B1) in beans. Thiamine is a valuable nutrient and one reason why beans have a reputation for being nutritious. If you have hard water and are in doubt as to whether or not to use baking soda, buy purified bottled drinking water - not distilled water - for soaking and cooking beans.

There is a Mexican herb that diminishes bean side effects in humans and adds a hickory flavor. Does anyone know what this inexpensive "beano" herb is called?

Answers

By Carmen (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Hi
i thinks that this Mexican herb is called Epazote.

Carmen