Finding Inexpensive Weddings Supplies

Where can I find discounted or used wedding supplies? We're doing our wedding on a tight budget, but I have some hopes for simple elegance as well. I don't want things looking cheap or cheesy. I'm looking for glass hurricanes, vases (round or square), or bowls to use as centerpieces. I want to be able to put a candle with sand and a few seashells in each. Anyone know where I can find good deals?

The hall I'm looking at will rent us tablecloths at $3.50 each. Anyone know of a place with cheaper tablecloths? We're doing our own food thanks to the help of some family, but I don't know what to do about dishes, glasses, or silverware either. Any thoughts on this? I was trying to find a "bride exchange" of sorts where brides might go to sell used decorations. Does such a place exist? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

By Kacee from TX

Best Answer

Believe it or not, at IKEA you can buy sets of white dinnerware cheaper then you can rent dinnerware. When the reception is over, you will have your own dishes, and dishes for others. I think the same is true of the glassware, but I have never checked it out.

Best Answer

Thanks for all of the tips! I found some bowls that will work at Garden Ridge for a dollar a piece!

We're actually going to IKEA next weekend, so I'll have to check the dishes out. Keep the ideas coming!

Best Answer

We use fabulous fake plastic silverware for our catering jobs. It looks like real silverware, and people are always asking if it is real. If you are willing to pay $3.50 to rent then you might as well buy, and resell on Craig's list. If you know someone that sews, get sheets from Walmart, size them and hem. You can add anything to them; glue flowers on, or stamp on them. You can put a square mirror under your center pieces (menards). The Dollar Store sells plates and glasses. If you are going with fake flowers add a little glitter to them (this added a little sparkle to the room). Best of luck.

Yard sales & thrift shops would be my first stop for glass ware. You might talk to a flower shop you might could borrow glassware if you agree to purchase a few flowers. It sounds like you are doing a sit down reception.

It would save you a lot if you changed this to finger foods and bypass the silver ware. Some of the party stores carry a heavier plastic cup & plate now that does not look cheap that is being used more and more for weddings.

Oriental Trading Company has a lot of nice looking things that are inexpensive. They have bridal items, and all types of other party and craft items.

Try Craigs List (www.craigslist.org), I have seen posts on that site for people selling their extra items. Also, you could post under 'wanted' and list the items you are looking for.

Goodwill will have some of the vases, they don't need to match. You could use plastic rolls for table cloths, though 3.50 seems cheap for rentals. It can be elegant without the columns. If a beach theme is used--you mentioned shells--casual is often just as elegant. You could use plastic cloths and add brown kraft paper toppers such as the italian restaurants have; this would be a great idea for guests to write their wishes and graffiti for the happy couple!

You could also stamp shell shapes onto the paper for more color or interest, I'd use permanent ink. Forget the flowers in the reception, too expensive and the candles and seashells should be enough.
Another thought would be to paint cans and punch hearts etc. into them for design and use as luminaries with the shells and sand around them. Best wishes:)