Christmas Bowling Ball Ornaments

Category Decorations
Old bowling balls find their way into a variety of craft projects. This guide explains how to decorate them as ornaments to use as holiday displays. This is a guide about making Christmas bowling ball ornaments.

An old bowling ball painted and decorated as a Christmas Ball Display Ornament

Approximate Time: 2 - 4 hours

• paint
  • brushes
  • sand paper
  • bowl for holding bowling ball to paint it
  • glitter spray paint
  • plaster or joint compound to fill holes in the bowling ball
  • stickers or cutouts (your choice)
  • glue
  • clear acrylic sealer /mod podge
  • old newspaper to cover work area
  • small round object (your choice)
  • dollies
  • ribbons

Instructions:

Fill holes in bowling ball first. Let dry. Lightly use sandpaper over bowling ball. Wipe clean. Then paint with your choice of color using an old bowl to hold the ball as you paint. I used acrylic craft paint and painted them with brushes for a smooth surface. I painted the top half first, let it dry and painted the bottom half. Repeat until desired covering, the drying time of the paint will vary depending on how many layers of paint.

I put together some cardboard circles and screwed a hanging hook in the center of the cardboard (to look like the top of an ornament) and glued it to the top of ball. I added stickers/cutouts and glued them to bowling ball. I then sprayed with glitter spray. I let it dry and sprayed them with acrylic sealer. I had little bowling ball stands to set the decorative balls on and I also used an old roll of duct tape to set the ball on.

One of my friends love "TENNESSEE". She has everything you can image on "T". She loved her "Tennessee" Snowman bowling ball ornament! Your imagination can be endless with this craft. I would like to see pictures of any craft made from old bowling balls. Have fun!

By Summer from Oak Grove. KY

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Anonymous

This is quite a creative idea! I've never heard of such a thing before and I'll venture to bet that avid bowlers who have retired bowling balls would really get a kick out of this!

LOL
I like the idea of this but as it is leaning over a little bit on the ground near or under the tree looking as if the wind caught it & blew it over LOL. A play on 3 sizes of balls: Bowling ball snowman?

;) Good job! HAPPY 2009!

This is a great project and fun to do. No limit to how you can decorate it! One other craft I have seen using the bowling ball was doing mosaics on it. Have not tried it yet but to plan to one of these days! Thanks for sharing! Dot