Making "Something Old" from Grandmother's Wedding Dress

I have 2 daughters who will someday marry. My mother's wedding dress is still in her attic and is very worn, fragile, and grayish in color. I want to use pieces of her dress to create "something old" for each of them to have on their wedding day. Her veil is also with the dress and I want to incorporate this into my plan.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

By Ann

Best Answer

You can make a 'hanky' for each girl, with parts of the dress fabric, and the veil for a lace border. Part of each could be used on the ring bearer's pillow, if they are planning to use one.

I had my mother's wedding dress. I had 3 memory bears made for my brother, sister and me. I also made some Christmas ornaments from the leftover fabric.

Best Answer

This is what I did with my mother's old gown. I asked the florist to incorporate part of the lace of my mother's dress in to their bridal bouquet. The florist did an amazing job and it looked beautiful.

I did this for all 3 of our daughters. My mother was passed away by the time our daughters got married, so this was a very special way to include her in the ceremony. I hope your daughter has a beautiful wedding and a happy marriage.

Don't distroy the old dress. Find something else to give them that is old.

Excellent idea fatboyslimsmom I was thinking the same thing. That dress is just going to waste away in the attic and end up being a tattered rag. The girls will have something to keep maybe hand down to their daughters when they get married.

Baptismal gown.

For my son & future daughter-in-laws wedding, I'm making a ring bearer pillow from her mothers dress & mine. I'm sewing tubes approximately 1 1/2" wide from both dresses then weaving them together for the pillow top.

Weddings AdviceAugust 22, 2011
💘
🍀