Inexpensive Wedding Reception Ideas

Category Reception
Weddings can easily get expensive very quickly. Help keep the cost of your wedding down by planning an inexpensive wedding reception. This is a guide about inexpensive wedding reception ideas.

Is it okay to just have a ceremony, then punch and cake, with maybe veggie trays, fruit, and a champagne toast afterwards? I am considering this instead of a full on reception. There would be no dancing, sit down meal, etc. I want to just have something simple and inexpensive. Cake, punch, veggie trays, and fruit, with music playing?

By Ashley

Answers

Best Answer

It is absolutely fine to do this! That is what a reception is actually for. A few munchies, and people congratulating and visiting with the new bride and groom! I have a great way to display veggies, or cupcakes, or candies that is on the cheap side as well. I am attaching a picture below. This turned out gorgeous! I used E6000 glue to put it together. Make sure it dries for 24 hours before moving it. :/ Trust me!

We took a 22" round mirror purchased from IKEA ($15), then purchased 1 smaller mirror (18") from HL, then two clear glass rounds (12", 10") from HL as well. They were on sale so they were like $3 each. We purchased the "piers" (candle holders) from dollar tree for a dollar a piece. (The taller ones) we needed 3, then the very short candle holders crystal type for 2 for $1 at dollar tree (4 of these) for the bottom half. HTH

Best Answer

Absolutely! Do what YOU want to do and can afford to do.

Remember that the wedding is one day, and the beginning of a new phase of your life. Don't mortgage the future for one day.

I am getting married on September 19th and we don't have a lot of money not to mention that my fiance got laid off from work. I am trying to plan an inexpensive wedding reception that doesn't look tacky. Please help me with any and all ideas that you may have. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks all.

By Jaumece from East Chicago, IN

Answers:

Inexpensive Wedding Reception Ideas

The Shriners in our town have a pavilion with kitchen and bathrooms and I think it cost me like $200. from like 8am till midnight. You could check with local groups in your area. (04/07/2009)

By michaela

Inexpensive Wedding Reception Ideas

My daughter-in-law had hers at her church, where she is an active member, and the ladies there helped so much! Her theme was simple, Camo and Flowers. It wasn't tacky, a lot of mason jars with inexpensive artificial daisies, greenery, tables covered with cheap camo netting and fabric. She used hunting themed decor like, toy guns, and ammo, "No Hunting" signs, stuffed (toy) animals like deer, raccoons, real deer antlers, etc. She wore camo Crocs under her gown, the bridesmaids had dresses of sage green and tan, and the men wore camo vests and ties with their tuxes. The food was simple, with everyone, including church members, family, etc. bringing a "potluck" dish, or chips, dips, sodas, etc. The church was decorated very simply, but nicely as well, with the same type of flowers, inexpensive candles, and a lot of green/brown/tan netting and ribbons to decorate the pews. (04/07/2009)

By Frances Adams

Inexpensive Wedding Reception Ideas

I'm not a gardener, but could you have friends grow flowers to use in decorating and for your bouquet? Probably not zinnias, but I'm sure there are yard flowers that would work. Good luck.
(04/08/2009)

By susan winship

Inexpensive Wedding Reception Ideas

We did this for a dance at the Vet's club one year. Get grapevine from a wooded area and let dry out for a month. Clean off the dry leaves. Hang the grapevine across the ceiling with string or thin wire, but let it hang down a ways. Put white Xmas lights throughout the grapevine. Cut out different size stars out of tagboard or any thin cardboard. Spray them gold. Hang them up from the grapevine. Punch a hole in the top of the star and tie with thread or string. It will look like the sky with stars when it is lit up. The grapevine is free and you can borrow the lights from friends and relatives. You can use any cardboard, that is free. You can buy the gold paint for $1 at WalMart. Buy string at the Dollar store. It is a little work, but get your wedding party to help you. It will look like fantastic. Good luck! (04/08/2009)

By Judie Blandin

Inexpensive Wedding Reception Ideas

Local parks that have a pond or a lake will rent a pavilion for less than $100, and some are free. Have a family member or friend grill a bunch of food and decorate the tables really prettily. You can gather tables from others to borrow and gather table cloths to match the colors of your wedding.

Surely between both families and friends you can gather several white tablecloths and a few colored ones with tables. That won't cost you a dime. Also, for centerpieces; you can do the same. Gather different flower vases and/or candle votives or holders to match your theme. Each table doesn't have to be alike.

You can even make your own place cards. Print out the guest names with a pretty font on some card stock or bond paper and put them in a paper frame, which you can get a cutter for at a craft or scrap booking store or on line. Use some pretty paper to match your stuff and just place the cards without a frame. It will have simple elegance and everyone will have a party favor to take home.

(04/14/2009)

By Elizabeth

Inexpensive Wedding Reception Ideas

Save and use coupons! It may sound cheap, but it's well worth it in the end, as others will tell you. HobbyLobby.com has weekly coupons (http://www.hobbylobby.com/weekly/weekly.cfm) that you can print on your home computer. Their current coupon is for 40% off any one regular-priced item. Print it off 3 or 4 times, and make several trips, but you get what you need at a price you can afford. You can do this at Michael's and other craft stores as well.

Hobby Lobby has 54 inch wide tulle for decorating for 99 cents/yd. With that coupon, you can get 40 yards of it for $23 bucks. Not bad and you can decorate quite a bit for that amount.

Also with those 40% and 50% off coupons, you could pick up a cake pan set in the baking aisles of the craft stores and make your own wedding cake. If you aren't having a ton of guests, this may be a perfect solution for you. I know they have baking pan sets (I think it's a 14 inch, 10 inch, and 6 nch pan set) for about $35 at both Michael's and Hobby Lobby, so use those coupons and drop that price to $17.50, and make a wedding cake that you will always remember because you made it. With that set (if you save the top layer for your 1st anniversary) should be plenty to feed about 35-50 depending on your slices.

My local Dollar Store has some really pretty tealight candle holders. You'd definitely think they cost more than a dollar each! They also sell bags of tealights for a buck, too.
Shop clearance. You have plenty of time to search those clearance racks of wedding related items.

Youtube.com also has tons of videos on decorating for receptions, How tos, cake decorating, etc. Educate yourself now, and you will have a beautiful, inexpensive wedding and reception that will be out of this world.

Now, about those invitations. You can print them from your home computer if you prefer. Originally this was my choice and I purchased a prepackaged box of do-it-yourself invitations for about $20. The box contained just the invitations and plain white envelopes. When I attempted to print them, the first few didn't turn out the way I wanted, plus they weren't always aligned correctly. I ditched that idea and ended up purchasing my invitations, RSVP cards, etc. from (www.123print.com). They have tons of styles to choose from (we choose seaside romance because of the starfish) and you can't beat the price. It cost me $148 for 100 invitations with envelopes (my address printed on the back), plus 100 RSVP cards (with envelopes), plus 50 Reception cards. If your wedding and reception is much smaller, they also advertise some as low as $12.95 for 25 invitations. They look great, are professionally done, and will arrive in less than a week (we were actually amazed at how quickly we got them).

Congratulations, and best wishes! If you need more helpful hints, be specific in your questions (need help decorating tables, table centerpieces, etc.). This site has tons of wonderful ideas! (04/29/2009)

By Barbara Pyne

Inexpensive Wedding Reception Ideas

Dollar tree has many wedding decor and favors, also by making your bouquet and the bridal party's bouquets you can save as well. The memories will last using silk flowers, even the men's boutonnieres you could make. You can get spa like items as well from Dollar Tree to make gifts for the wedding party. If you know someone who has a nice digital camera and is a good shot with photography you could create many pictures and the cost is less than a pro, I wish you guys all the best. (03/16/2010)

By Kimberly

We are getting married on 06/12/09 and having the reception on 06/13/09. I need ideas for a very inexpensive reception, under $2000. My colors are chocolate and teal. It's an outside reception by a pool. Thanks very much.

I am trying to put on a second wedding reception. My husband is a sailor who is shipping out for the US Navy.

I was hoping you guys could brainstorm some inexpensive reception ideas. We had a small wedding planned and the service will be quite small, but the guest list keeps growing for the reception.