GiftsChristmas

Presents from the Kids

I started a tradition 8 years ago for my son's first Christmas. Every year we make a Christmas gift for the grandparents and great-grandparents and aunts and uncles. The first year he was 9 months old and we made handprint pillows. 3 years later our second son came along and he joined in on the fun! Last year our baby girl joined the "team" and joined in on the tradition.

Every year the kids look forward to the tradition, as do the family members who receive these treasured gifts. We also make this craft for at home and it has a special designated area each Christmas.

By Katja from Kountze, TX

By Trudi (Guest Post)

I'd love to hear all of your ideas. I've made the foot/handprint reindeer for the grands one year, also a cute handprint "mitten" out of craft foam and fake fur for the cuff (with the year and name of grandchild). Last year I wimped out and really want to come up with something to do this year that's not too boring.

how do u make the handprint pillows? thank u

Depending on how old the child(ren) is/are, you can make jewelry boxes from popcicle sticks. We use an interesting rock glued on top for the handle on the lid. I've also made bookmarks with a short story my son had written with a photo of him.

After printing and cutting, I used clear contact paper to protect it, then attached a tassel. Another favorite was a popcicle picture frame with painted puzzle pieces around it and a photo of my son in it.